War Diaries Talk

Dates missing from Diary page 96 of the 27th Brigade RFA diary.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

This diary page 96 has two diary page entries i.e. Left hand side page numbered by Author 10, has the date of 1 Sept 1914. Right hand side of the page numbered by Author 12, has the dates of 5/6/7/8th Sept 1914 – no entry by Author for dates 2/3/4/ Sept 1914 which was probably Author’s page 11.

The date lines are awkward to put in as the entries would run across the page awkwardly. Therefore have entered the date line as 1 & 5-8 Sep 1914.

Page 96 - Profile page 670 Link https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003uc8

If the entries for the 2/3/4 Sept 1914 turn up, I will let you know.

Also commented on interesting information re Brigadier General Cuthbert, in Command of 13th Infantry Brigade who was mentioned.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Marie, for pages like this the best way to handle them is to drop a date tag at the top with the first date, and then another at the bottom with the last date + 1 (so in this case the 9th of September). That way we know everything happened at some point during the date range 1-8th of September.

Entering multiple dates on one date line means the programme won't be able to process the tag, so I'd advise against doing that.

Posted

Thanks for that advice Ral. Query if you have a date say 1-2 of a month and the rest run in sequence on a page, will the process not take those dates either? - say 1-2 Sept 1914. Dates often appear like that.

I have put a #correction re dates in the comment box of the page in question. Also entered your remarks re entry of dates, in the comment box for other people tagging these dates on that page..

Posted

Reporting on the diary of the 27 Infantry Brigade.

The last page of their diary for 1st Sept 1914 at Crepy, finished abruptly on page 105 – Profile page 679 - no continuation page. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003uat

There is another page entry for the 1st Sept 1914 for this Brigade see Profile page 67O. This may have been diary page 96. link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003uc8

This diary has had different sections for the 27th Brigade RFA and different sections for 119/120/121st Batteries.

On the Diary Selection page for this diary it states 105 pages. The entries for the 2/3/4 Sept 1914 did not appear.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Marie, for any date range, whether it's the 1-2 of a month, or the 1-31, I would take the same approach. Drop the first tag for the opening date, and then drop the next tag at the end of the range. In the case you give, I would put a tag for the 1st, and then put the next one down for the 3rd, when the dates start running consecutively again. That way we know anything between those two tags happened sometime during the 1st or the 2nd.

Posted

Thanks Ral for that reply concerning entry of multiple dates.

Posted