War Diaries Talk

Map sheet Entry Query.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

When I type in say – (Bethune Combined Sheet) 1/40,000 in the Map Sheet Box it then shows
    Bethune Combined Sheet,,

Don’t know why these commas are appearing when I have not typed them in. I find this often when putting a comma in say for perhaps 1/100,000 it will show 100,000, - another extra comma.

Has anyone come across this before? I am using Chrome Browser.

Page link for the map sheet entry: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003s4d

Just a funny little query – not a problem.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Marie I think the commas are just meant to separate Sheet, Scale and Date

Posted

Even though I make an entry with a comma, i.e 1/100,000 but no comma at end, I still don't know why
    1 and even 2 commas come up after the final O of the entry, when am not typing commas in at the end.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

I think it is in the program. I get the same thing. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Rob will be better able to answer your question, though.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Erik's right, Marie. The commas are there to separate Sheet, Scale and Date - the three bits of information collected by the map sheet tag. The data is stored in that format, so even if you don't type anything into two of the boxes, the commas still appear to show there is missing data.

A computer programme needs what's called a delimeter to read data in the way we want it to - in this case the delimeter is a comma.

Posted

Thanks Erik and Ral for your answers to my query. I posted it more out of curiosity than anything else. 😃

Posted