War Diaries Talk

Moderator - Query regarding Tagging Question in diary of 1 Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There is an entry here for a marriage between No. 11555, Private W Burke. D Coy. (Entry under Records).

“Married Ethel Field, at the Parish Church of All Saints, Leeds on the 31/8/1918”.

I have on the comments page used the tags - #next of kin and also #marriage - although we do not have a marriage tag - would this be an instance for having a #marriage tag?

Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003q11

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Using the #nextofkin tag is appropriate for this. I don't think we really need an official hashtag for marriage as they seldom appear, but you could mention the marriage in the comment without using a hashtag for it. Something like "#nextofkin Pte Burke married Ethel Field on 31/8/1918."

What a neat readable list that is!

Posted

Cyntha, PS to my message re Marriage entries.

Also 7 days ago I tagged the following page which also mentioned a marriage but did not use a tag for marriage as such. i.e. “Captain Beesley in England getting married” see 10th line under the 17th.

Unfortunately, I believe I tagged Captain Beesley as being killed in action later on and thought at that time, how sad, he had departed earlier to be married. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003q49

PS I could go back to this page link and tag #marriage – what do you think? Although in the comment box I made the comment “Captain Beesley in England getting married”

This is the also the Diary of the 1st Battalion King’s Liverpool Regiment.

Posted

Cynthia, I did at the time of tagging put this entry in the comment box:-

#nextofkin #marriage No. 11555 Pte W Burke D Coy, married Ethel Field at the Parish Church of All Saints, Leeds on 31/8/1918

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

As I said above in my answer that I wrote while you were posting, I think it's fine to just use the hashtag #nextofkin and then include a comment about the specific relationship.

Posted

Cynthia, you mention a nice readable list - thank goodness the writing is improving. It has been nice to tag readable writing for a change after tagging pages of nominal rolls appearing as orders from page 362 non stop up to the page I have just finished tagging which is 377 another nominal roll.. Quite a few of the pages have had up to a 100 men on them to tag.

Don't know how long these lists will go on for they have been appearing dated 2/7/9/10/11/13/19 Sept 1918- with continuation pages also. l am wondering if these nominal rolls will be continuing to end of Sept 1918.

I must admit though, it is good news for the Historians and others looking for names in these diaries, 1 of the main reasons of the diaries is the people who are entered.

I will just keep calm and keep tagging all the names if they continue. Hope the nice writing continues!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks for wading through all those names, Marie! Great to have them all tagged.

I agree with Cynthia - #nextofkin is the best hashtag to use when the name of a spouse is mentioned, even if it's a very new spouse.

Posted