War Diaries Talk

A question and query about a diary page comment.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There is a query made in the comment box of the diary for the 1 CAVALRY DIVISION: 2 Dragoon Guards by AndrewBarrera comment posted 3 hours ago, Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00001af

There is only 1 page of diaries to tag on the Diary Selection. I thought this was a new diary coming up to tag but this diary does not seem to appear on the Diary Selection Page and the comments on this page go back to 3 years ago. (i.e. ship) (Has the incorrect diary page been posted?

PS This page seems to be quite clear to read. The other comments made don’t seem to apply to the diary page link. I answered a comment on this diary 7 months ago and the dates seemed quite clear to read.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Marie, I think this is probably a case of a user signing up a long time ago, opening this page but not completing it, and then reappearing today. Their browser will still remember where they were, as long as they haven't cleared out their temporary files in the meantime.

I think that's all it is, but we'll see whether any other weird things crop up overnight.

By the way, I'm expecting another load of diaries any day now.

Rob

Posted

Thanks for your answer Rob. Nice to know some more diaries are coming up! Will finish the diary I am tagging before I go on to a new one.

Posted

Question on a diary. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003l2e

If If someone is making a comment on a diary (as above-4 hours ago) and the diary does not show on the diary selection page, do the tags still go through, even though the diary is not on the dairy selection page?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Marie, I can't answer that. I don't really have a good understanding of how the technical aspects of tagging work.

You'll have to wait until Rob drops in. And I can't answer as to when that will be either.

Good question, though.

Posted

That's OK Cynthia, I was just wondering about it. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I just realized I do know! I remembered that a few of weeks ago I was tagging the 1st Northamptons, and then didn't have time to do any tagging for a few days. In the meantime, other taggers finished it up. However, I still had the last page I had already started, so I was able to finish it. Then I got the sign that the diary had been completed and to choose another diary.

So, if you have started a page and then signed out, you can still finish that page. I think the tags do go through, as the diary still needs a fifth tagger for that page.

By the way, I realized this because I was flipping back and forth through my notes just now. I've been tagging the 2nd Division Supply Column, which for a supply column is actually rather interesting as you get to see all the logistics that go into supplying a division that is on the move. That diary is in several sections and I was looking back to find a name and saw my notes from the Northamptons, which set off a bell in my head. I'm glad you talked about your note-taking. I've been doing it for several months now, and whenever I think I'll give it up, I get to a spot where I'm glad I had those notes.

Posted

Thanks for the answer Cynthia. I'm glad I began taking notes when I started these diaries, so useful if you need to find names etc. Its a long time since I used my shorthand but Shorthand Notebooks do come in useful!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Cynthia's right (as always πŸ˜„). If you go back to a page from a diary that has since been completed, your tags will still be saved for that page. In fact, we'd probably end up with six tags sets in that case.

Posted