War Diaries Talk

Problem with diary pages loading up.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

After pressing finished, the next page is not coming up - I am getting a blue screen. I then reload the page, same thing happens. Then I go into talk and press 'return to classifying' sometimes the page will then come up. If it does not then I have to go back to the Diary page and hope the next page comes up then. The system seems to be very slow today Friday 7th April and also last night Thursday.

Is anyone else having this problem? I am using Windows 10 and Chrome.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I just went to tag one page to check and it went through faster than usual! I'm also using Windows 10 but Firefox rather than Chrome.

Have you cleared your cache? I've noticed that this web site often runs more slowly as my cache gets close to being full.

Let me know if this continues.

Posted

Thanks Cynthia, cleared my cache. Was able to bring the next diary page up with no problem when I signed in again and went to the Diary pages.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

She is famous that blue page. Some diaries do have them. Usually the cause is a corrupted scan. What I did was leave OWD and restart it and than press the finish button. You will have missed a page, but you can continue tagging again.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

That's one cause of a blue page. However, trying to work with a full browser cache is another common cause. A full cache produces a generally unresponsive situation when you try to Finish a page or use the Place tag, I suppose because that connects to the Internet.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Marie, Glad to hear that the problem was that simple!

Posted

They problem is unfortunately not solved it is continuing. It is the same problem again. There must be something wrong with the website. This is what has been happening. Tried a few times signing out and signing in again.

After pressing the Finished button for the 1st page I tagged when I started again, the Blue screen came up and there was a little flash of a page at the right side of the page which disappeared quickly.

I have a Tab on my heading for the ANZACs - Their page Welcome to the ANZACS came up on my screen. I deleted the tab. Tried to access the page again by going through Talk - return to classifying to no avail.

The only way I seem to be able to access a diary page is by going back to the Diary Pages and trying that way to access the diary page.
    This has been successful but it is frustrating because every time I tag a page the next page will not come up and I have to go through this procedure again - hoping a page to tag will come up. That is why I think there is something wrong with the site.
    Anyone any ideas?

Is it happening to anyone else? As said before I am using Windows 10 and Chrome. When things go haywire always seems to happen at the weekend or near to it.

I will continue to try and access pages to tag through going back again to the Diary pages to see if a page will come up. As I say frustrating.

Posted

I don't necessarily think it is a problem with the site. I've been tagging today without any issues.

I'm not sure I understand where the ANZACs tab came from. Are you signing in to OWD through the Zooniverse site or directly from your browser? I'm signing in directly from Firefox. If you're signing in through the Zooniverse site I wonder if the issue is there.

Also, have you tried tagging a different diary? Some of the diaries from the last batch have had some glitches, but so far I don't recall any with the 38th Brigade RFA.

Posted

Another thought. After you cleared your cache did you restart your computer? I always do that, and sometimes I have had to shut it down completely and reboot before OWD will work correctly, although my problems are usually with the Place tag.

ETA: I just went through the Zooniverse site to sign in and then tagged a page and I had no issues. I can notify the people at Zooniverse, but I'm just trying to get a good idea of the situation first.

No one else has reported any problems today.

Posted

Cynthia, I am signing in through Chrome. The problem is still happening Blue Screen when I finish can only tag a page from going into the Diary Pages of my diary the 38th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. It seems the next page I want to access is passing by too quickly I seem to get a quick glimpse of it on the Blue Screen then it disappears. I am signing in the way I have always done and never had a problem like this in the past.

I will do a test page tomorrow on another diary. Did think when I cleared my cache it would have helped. Don't think I re-started my computer when I cleared my cache but did sign out after I did another page after finishing it. Later signed in again with same problem. I have singed out and signed back in a few times with this problem hoping to clear it.

By the way I have tagged this diary from page 40 up to 158 Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003ngb I wonder if you tried bringing up the next page 159 if it would come up for without a problem?

I will let you know when I tag another page from another diary and see if the next page will come when I have tagged that page.

Goodnight Cynthia for now. Maybe things will improve tomorrow Saturday.

Posted

Okay, I'll check in in the morning here, which will be mid-to-late afternoon for you, depending on when I am up and awake!

Posted

Thanks Cynthia for your help - hope we can sort πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

How is tagging working for you today?

Posted

Cynthia, Today Saturday 8th April - Still having the same problem of the pages loading up for the Diary of 38th Brigade RFA. It seems the next page I want to access is passing by too quickly I seem to get a quick glimpse of it on the Blue Screen then it disappears as reported earlier.

I tagged a page for the 2nd Cavalry Division: Divisional Troops Supply Column, 46 Coy ASC, (1st Aug 1918-431 Dec 1918) Page 21. No problem with this, after I tagged the page the next page came up quickly as it should normally.

Posted

There may be an issue with the 38th Brigade RFA diary, then. I'll get in touch with the people at Zooniverse, but it may be a few days before they answer because of the weekend.

I'd recommend in the meantime that you tag a different diary. And let me know if you have any more problems.

Do you know the approximate page numbers where you were having trouble? Or even the dates of the diary at that point? I think that would be helpful to know.

Posted

Cynthia, System was slow on Thursday 6th April – Did the last page of a nominal roll for page 146 that was OK. Since then the pages up to day i.e. 147 to 162 seem to be having the problems.

Dates were: for 147 Cover Page Oct 1915. Then from page 148 1-5 Oct 1915 running through to page 161 for dates 26-31 Dec 1915. and now continuing for page 162 which is a cover page for January 1916.

From my profile (because it only show the last 10) I can only give you the link for https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003nhb for the 30-31 Oct 1915. Which was one of the problem pages.

Cynthia I know I am having frustrating problems with this Diary but I will continue with it as far as I can - there are 231 pages so another 69 to go, so they can be recorded if they come up. From the comments on the pages, it seems the person tagging this diary before me was 2 months ago.

Sometimes I can re load a page and it comes up but not always. It just a bit of a hit and miss.

Posted

OK. Let me know how it goes, but if it's too much for you, it's okay to switch, but I think you know that already!

Posted

I think there is just something off with the 38th Bde RFA diary. I finished up the one I was working on and decided to try the 38th. I'm much earlier than where you had starting having trouble, and it seems okay, but I've noticed that the new page slides in VERY quickly. I don't think Zooniverse can do anything about it as I think it is the way the diary was loaded at the NA.

Posted

Latest update on the problem with the Blue Screen appearing in the diary of the 38th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Copy of message posted under another section:-

Sat 15 April 2017: Tried your suggestions, does not make a difference. Still on the diary of the 38th Brigade RFA.

I have to shuffle between opening a dairy page through the diary page and when it comes up, after tagging get blue screen again. Can sometimes get the page through the talk classify page and classify heading but not always, I try loading the page up again but it just flashes past. on the right hand side of the screen very quickly. Then try going back to the diary page and loading the page up from there.

So I continue through these options and eventually I get the next page to tag. Frustrating, but I seem somehow or other to get the next page to tag. I am on page 214 of 231 so not many pages to go.

I wonder if the person tagging this diary before me 2 months ago had this problem with the blue screen. As reported earlier it started at page 146 I think. this was a report and has continued all the way through this diary. Will continue to tag this diary to the end.

PS Cynthia it might be a good idea to report this problem because the next people tagging this diary may have the same problem with the Blue Screens.

Posted

Thanks for the update, Marie. I'm working my way through the diary, but I'm still about 15 pages from where you began having trouble. Once I get there, I may have a better idea. I hope to get that far through the rest of the weekend.

There isn't really anyone to report it to. It doesn't seem like it's a Zooniverse problem because no one else has reported it. If it's a problem with the diary itself, there isn't much can be done about it at this time.

I'll let you know what I find when I get to page 146.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Marie, can you follow this link (http://www.operationwardiary.org/#debug) and let us know what information it gives you?

We had problems a while ago where people had tagged so many pages that OWD couldn't access local storage anymore.

Posted

This is what the information says:
    LOCAL STORAGE USED

Storage size: 9085

Storage available: true

Number of stored keys: 12

read/write test passed.

DEFAULTS

Unit activity: attack

Place: Guillemont

Other unit: D/38 Battery 38th Brigade RFA

Posted

Marie, thanks for posting the debug information. I wish I had remembered that to ask you long before now. I also don't know how to interpret your information, but I expect that Rob will sign in at some point today to help out.

Posted

Cynthia here is an update: Tagged page 220 of 38th Brigade RFA diary today, next pages from 221 to 223 loaded correctly. Pages 224 and 225 had the usual blue screen. Will continue with pages from 225 to 231 later. 231 should be the last page of this diary. I await Rob's reply.

Posted

Thanks for the update, Marie.

Posted

Cynthia, I have finished tagging the 38th Brigade Royal Field Artillery Diary with the Blue Screen problems. Finished at page 231 - all pages were in sequence. Hope when I start a new diary I will not have the same Blue Screen Problems.

Posted

Thanks for posting the debug info, Marie. It looks like local storage isn't the issue, so at the risk of asking you to repeat something you've already done, could you try signing out of OWD and then closing your browser down and restarting your computer before signing back in? Then let us know if you're still having similar issues when you start a new diary. Thanks.

Posted

Ral I am going to sign out and close my computer down. Then turn it back on and go back into Chrome and find another diary to tag. I will let you know how it goes - hopefully will not get the same problem with the blue screens - quite a puzzle this problem. Before I close down I am going to post you a query regarding the Rifle Brigade. Thanks for your suggestions so far πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Ral, I have been meaning to ask you this question for a long time. It concerns the Rifle Brigade – part of Kitchener’s New Army. It also concerns a question from Lorraine, to whom I have posted a message regarding the 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade.

A: Has the diary of the 41st Brigade, 14th Light Division – which includes the 7th and 8th Rifle Brigade been up for tagging. I believe my Grandfather could have been part of one of these Battalions but do not know which one - They seem to have been part of the same battles, including the 9th Btn.

B: According to this link: https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/1508/kings-royal-rifle-corps/ 9th (Service) Battalion Aug 1914 Formed in Winchester as part of the First New Army (K1) then moved to Aldershot to join the (42nd Brigade of the 14th Division).

C: I noticed – quite a while ago that The Test Page for the Diaries is for the (42nd Brigade of the 14th Division). I would be interested in tagging this diary. Would it be possible for it to be loaded up for tagging – apart from just the 1st page of the Test Page? Or on the other hand has the complete diary been up for tagging earlier on.

D: If not, could you advise on how I would be able to perhaps download a copy of this Diary.

I know Moderators are all busy, so not looking for a quick answer, as it has taken me a long time to ask the question.

Posted

Marie, I've answered your questions about the Rifle Brigade along with Lorraine's in the other thread. That's an interesting page about the King's Royal Rifle Corps, although it was separate from the Rifle Brigade during World War 1. It's interesting that the same numbered battalions from both regiments ended up in the same brigades, with the 7th and 8th being in the 41st Brigade and the 9th being in the 42nd Brigade. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/14th-light-division/

I also thought it was interesting that the page about the KRRC doesn't mention at all that the 2nd battalion was nearly wiped out entirely by the Germans in their Operation Strandfest in July 1917. They were caught by the Germans along with the 1st Northamptons.

I'm still working through the 38th Bde. RFA diary, but it's going slowly as the past few days have been busy. I hope to reach the point where you started having trouble today.

Posted

Cynthia I finished the diary yesterday. Going to tag another one hope there is no problems with it.

Posted

Cynthia/Ral - I am glad to report that I have started a new diary and the pages are coming through normally to tag. I do not have the problem of the Blue Screen coming up with this new diary. Thanks to you both for previous suggestions.

Posted

Glad to hear that, Marie! Let's hope your luck holds.

I'm just a couple of pages before where your problems started. I'm on the third page of the nominal roll. I'll let you know what I find.

Posted

I'm glad everything's working better now, Marie! Apologies for not getting to your Rifle Brigade questions until now, but looks like Cynthia has already answered them very comprehensively anyway - thanks, Cynthia!

Posted

Just thought I'd add a final note on this subject. I'm still tagging the 38th Bde RFA diary and I'm 16 pages past where your problems started, Marie, and I haven't had any issues. So I think that your problems were related to your cache getting too full and then you not restarting your computer after you cleared it. I don't know why it didn't recover after you did sign out, shut down your computer and restarted it.

That final step of restarting or shutting down your computer is important. I have discovered my cache is full while using the Place tag, and lately, even after clearing my cache and restarting my computer, the last name that recorded properly keeps coming up no matter what name I type into the box. I have to completely shut down my computer, not just restart it, to get that cleared out so I can move on to tagging other places.

To get around this issue, I try to remember to check and clear my cache last thing in the day before I shut my computer down for the night.

Posted

I did clear my cache and quite often through this diary turned off my computer and restarted it again. So it seems the problem was a right puzzle. Glad you did not have the same issued with the blue screen.

Posted

Marie, I know you did. I posted that as a sort of message to anyone else who might read the thread. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

I actually rather admire your perseverance in finishing that diary! It must have been terribly frustrating to deal with. I haven't been able to stay with it, even without any glitches. I'm working on a different one now, although I will probably go back to the 38th Bde RFA if it's still there when I'm done with the 2nd Cav. Div. Supply Column.

Posted

Thanks for your message Cynthia. Since I started tagging these diaries, I have never known so many grid references appear in a diary - i.e 38th Brigade Royal Field Artillery πŸ˜ƒ

Posted