War Diaries Talk

Query on a #private diary by Lt. J T Price - 30th (How) Battery XL111 (43rd) Brigade RFA-With 1st Division BEF. This is a really interesting private diary – see below*

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I believe this #private diary is #misfiled because it appears in the diary of the 1 Div: Ammunition Column. Page 16 Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003lse

PS From records: 43rd (Howitzer) Brigade Royal Field Artillery: XLIII (Howitzer) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery was a brigade of the Royal Field Artillery which served in the First World War.

*The diary concerns a game of football being played which led to a German Aeroplane report being made.

Some of the Comments in report mention “The spirit of the English is absolutely broken they were seen today to be running about the fields as if demented.

Special Order captured on an Officer of General Von Deimling dated 30th Oct 1914.

The German Special Order was to break through to Ypres, dated Saturday 31st Oct 1914. "The Kaiser personally says 'we must and we shall 'Succeed'".

Interesting to read something about the beginning of the War in 1914.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

That's interesting. It may well be misfiled since this page is the only one from that private diary that appears in the unit diary.

I think that entry about the football game is an example of dry British humor, as the author imagines his men would have appeared to a German airplane pilot. I can't imagine how an artillery lieutenant would have access to any reports made by enemy pilots!

Posted