War Diaries Talk

Map Sheet Tag Question from a Neewbie

• KPepper by KPepper

On a diary page for the 108 Infantry Brigade, 11 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (30 Sep 1915 - 30 Oct 1917), I found a Map Sheet reference (my first). I took a screenshot, but can't seem to attach it to this question, so I'll type it in faithfully:

Ref

• Sht 27
    • S.E.
    • Belgium
    • &
    • France

There only seems to be a slot in the tag to write "S.E. 27" and the scale of 1/20,000 in the tag, but nowhere to write Belgium and France. Do I leave them out?

Also, for the date, do I put the month/year of this diary page (the entry itself covers multiple days), or do you only put a date in if one is specifically referenced in the map area?

Thanks!
    Kathy

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I would type in the box: 27 SE Belgium and France on one line, then enter where it applies - 1/20,000 and enter the date, day month and year. May be at different places on different dates if they are moving around on the diary page but not always. Would not enter the word Sheet as it will come automatically.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Kathy, Welcome to Operation War Diary! We're glad to see you and happy to answer your questions. You'll find that there are many knowledgeable and helpful volunteers here.

Marie is correct in including Belgium & France in the top line identifying the map.

The line for the date is actually for the date of the map, if one is given, as maps were updated periodically when situations changed. However, I have never seen one referenced in 2 1/2 years of tagging. I have seen occasional references to various editions of maps, which I have included on the top line, but maybe those should go in the date space. I'll see if I can get an answer for that from ral104.

In the meantime, please don't feel you need to wait for that answer. As I explained in the answer to your other question, four other people have or will tag that page, so you can move on knowing you are covered. I just finished that diary myself yesterday and it is an interesting one.

There also isn't anyway that I know of to post a shot of a page you are working on here.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Message for KPepper regarding attaching a page link to a question.

Kath, if you have a query on a diary page and you want to show a link to the page, when you have finished the page in question it will appear on your profile page. Go into the page in question on your profile page and on the top of the page in the Top Left Hand Corner it will give you the page reference. Example: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003if2 (AWD0003if2) being my page number link for a page I have just completed.

You can copy and paste this reference of your page number onto your message concerning any queries on a page. Welcome to the war diaries, you will find everyone on this project all very helpful.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Kathy - thanks for getting involved.

To add to Cynthia's answer above: the data field is exactly as she says (and I too have never used it). Editions of maps and so on should be included with the title.

Posted

• KPepper by KPepper

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers! You definitely are a helpful group of people. Onto the next page! 😃

Posted