War Diaries Talk

How to tag adjutant

• Stork by Stork

At the end of every Operation Order, the adjutant signs his name. When I tag his name with the Person tag, in the Reason drop-down list the only choices that apply are either Author of Diary or Other. It's not a diary, so I'm hesitant to use Author of Diary. Plus, I don't know if he actually writes the Order or if it was dictated to him by the O/C, so he's only acting as the secretary taking dictation. I wish there was an Adjutant choice in that list, but there isn't. So, I'm tagging him as Other. Is that right, or should I choose Author of Diary?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I have always tagged those situations as Other because, as you say, it is not the diary.

Sometimes I have seen orders that have come from the brigade or even the division and they are signed by a Brigade Major, or some other title. I also use Other for those and then put the brigade number in the Unit line of the Person tag.

It would be helpful to have an Adjutant tag, wouldn't it?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think using Other is fine here. The main thing is that the name is captured. i'll make a note of the issue, though, and then if we ever do get the chance to do any further development it shouldn't be too difficult a thing to add Adjutant into the reasons list.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

When tagging orders which say the person is the adjutant, in the box for the unit I enter: for example Adj. 15 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles or say the Brigade/Division in question and in the person box, Other. Sometimes they are the Assistant Adjutant say when the Adj. goes on leave.

Posted