War Diaries Talk

#misfiled pages in Diary of 14 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There are 3 pages here which I want to report to you. Page 38 which is #outoforder is an Operation Order by Maj. C H Harding OC 8 Gloucestershire Reg. dated 6/9/1916. They will relieve 14 Btn Royal Irish Rifles on 6/9/16. Page 39 #outoforder is a continuation of this order on page 38.

Page 40 #misfiled Seems to be Page 2 of an Order but there is no indication of what Battalion this belongs to. There is a name referred to which is Moir but I have not come across this name yet in this diary I am tagging. I don’t think it belongs to the diary of 14th Btn Royal Irish Rifles, therefore I only tagged this page as an order. (No order number, no reference, no date either and no relevance to the name Moir). Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003gfg

Pages are running in sequence my next page 45 is for the 1-6 April 1916 of this diary.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Are pages 38 and 39 out of order in the context of the diary? Do they appear in the wrong month? They could be included in the diary because the regiment will be relieving the 14th RIR.

Page 40 looks to be from an ambulance unit. It's discussing a Regimental Aid Post, stretcher bearers, and walking cases. Also mentions a Red Cross flag. Moir is probably a doctor from another unit; I've tagged at least one ambulance unit where two teamed up to cover both an aid post and a hospital.

The author also mentions place names that are in the area east of Ypres.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Pages 38 and 39 run in sequence but I reported them as out of order because the dates for them are for 6th September 1916. Page 37 was for a diary page for the 14-31st March 1916 which was in sequence for their March diary. I tagged them because they mentioned the relief of the 14th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles on the 6 Sept 1916.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Okay. Good to know.

Posted