War Diaries Talk

Understanding casualties

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Can somebody help me with the casualties on this page? It looks like numbers and letters. For example: Killed O.R. 1 c, Died of Wounds O.R.1 c, Wounded 3B 8c ....

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I read it as - B and C could stand for there Companies. i.e.Killed Other Rank 1, C Company. Died of Wounds Other Rank 1, C Company. (Wounded 3, B Company and 8 C Company). Accident self inflicted Other Ranks 2 (SIW stands for Self Inflicted Wound) but it is missing the W for Wound). Wounded at duty 1 Other Rank. Missing, believed Prisoner of War 1 Other Rank.

Hard to read your page, it keeps flashing and moving when I put the curser on it. Anyone else had this problem when reading a page link? it is not the first time it has happened.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Can you tell me what's the difference between wounded and wounded at duty?

Posted

I think the Author is just distinguishing between the men who wounded themselves and the other man who was wounded on duty.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Wounded at duty means the man had only a mild wound and was able to remain at duty instead of being hospitalized. You may also see such cases referred to as "slightly wounded."

Marie's explanation makes sense and Stork seems to agree in the Comments box, but I've never seen wounded referred to like that. Does anyone else want to jump in here?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to cyngast's comment.

Not seen this before either. Let us know if it continues Erik and maybe it will become clearer?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I agree that Marie's explanation makes sense, especially given the disposition of the companies. But I've also never seen this type of notation before.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Why does the diary of the 8th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers mention officers belonging to other regiments? For examplethe 1th Bn,, 5th Bn, 4th Connaught Rangers, 5th Royal irish Fusiliers. Image AWD0003j4m

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to HeatherC's comment.

I'll let you know, but untill now (sept 1916) it's the only time the casualties were displayed this way.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

These officers will have been temporarily attached to the unit, Erik.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Marie- I've also been having that flashing problem the last week or so, about half of the time. It makes it hard to read the magnification. I don't know why it happens. I use the Firefox browser, if that matters. It doesn't happen to the image on this page.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I also have the flashing problem with this page. It has occurred before occasionally with images on the Talk page and in my own profile. And I also use Firefox.

Stork, Erik copied and pasted the image number for that page from his profile. The image number appears above the image of the page.

Posted

Forgot to mention using Windows 10 and Chrome when problem occurs with flashing page.

Posted

I'm getting it too with this page, but not with others. It must be some problem with the small-scale version of the image.

Although, after having messed around with it for a while, I find it works as long as the entire thumbnail image is in the browser window. In other words, if you have the browser window maximised so none of the page is hidden, it should work.

Did you also know that (in chrome at least), you can right click on the thumbnail image and choose 'open image in new tab' and you'll get a full size version?

Posted

Thanks for that tip Ral about the thumbnail image did not know that. Very useful.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

There's a feature like that in Firefox, too, that I didn't know about until just now. If you right click on the image, at the top of the menu is View Image. You don't get a new tab, but you do get a full-screen version of the entire image.

Also, I'm not seeing any of the flashing or flickering with the image in this thread today, Monday morning US Pacific time, that I had yesterday.

Posted

Perhaps you could post this in the Mess Hall under Useful Tips. Perhaps under 'How to deal with flashing pages'.

Posted

Thanks, Marie. Good idea.

Posted