War Diaries Talk

Identifying individuals

• timoak1 by timoak1

As the spelling and reading / deciphering individuals names is sometimes difficult is it permissible to make a correction based on research from web sites such as CWGC and Lives of the First world war etc where the person can be positively identified

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The answer to this is yes as long as you are sure you have the right identification.

Posted

• timoak1 by timoak1

Thanks, CWGC is good if the casualty dies as you have a date. Lives of the WW1 can give to many probables if the surname is common and you do not have an Id number

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to timoak1's comment.

At Lives of the First World War, you can narrow down the probables quite a bit in many instances by selecting categories from the choices on the left side of the page. For instance, I wanted to look up 2nd Lt. J. G. Cregan earlier today. First I put Cregan in the search box. When that list came up, I selected Cregan as Surname. Then I chose British Army, then Machine Gun Corps because he was in the 47th Machine Gun Coy. With each choice, you get a smaller number of probables. Eventually, I had a list of about 12 names or so, and one was Lt. James Grattan Cregan. This doesn't always help, especially for very common surnames, but I find it usually narrows several thousand down to less than 50.

Posted