War Diaries Talk

Out of the Ordinary Entries on Reports of Casualty lists for 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

The Author of the casualty lists has entered the nature of the wounds for the casualties. He has also entered the next of kin of each casualty, (which I have never come across before). I suppose this would be of interest to anyone researching members of their family in these diary pages, with the next of kin listed, this could be of interest to those researching their family trees.
    On Pages, 254-256 inclusive.

Link page 254 https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003f08

Link page 255 https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003ewz

Link page 256 https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003esi

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This is out of the ordinary. I've never seen it either, and with addresses, too!

Did you put a hashtag in the comments box? Maybe #nextofkin would be good so that researchers could find it.

That first link for page 254 doesn't go through, but the others are fine.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

That is unusual. Definitely calls for a #nextofkin hashtag. I would also tag these other people too.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Messages for Ral and Cynthia regarding comments #nextofkin.
    Query - Entering Next of Kin on the Person Drop Down List in the Diaries.

I only thought about putting the #nextofkin names in after I had tagged the named casualties on these pages - too late then to enter. Thinking later how would I have put them in because of the following reasons:

On the person drop down page I could only put in their name and maybe typing next of kin after it – but next of kin to whom? Entering the reason Other. No place for their addresses. 1 of them states the next of kin is Mother Mrs. Bradshaw but the person wounded is called Stringer. Also some of the next of kin are just entered as Aunt and cousin no name. When the information is collated, is the tag #nextofkin sufficient for the information being recorded? I don't think the Person drop down list is set up for the information that is entered for the next of kin. I await your comments because if the Author includes next of kin names again, I don't know how I would tag them.

I did enter the following in the comment boxes for the diary page at the time on all the pages: "The Author names The Next of Kin of the casualties".

PS Cynthia the correct link for Page 254 is https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003f08 - the 8 was missing at the end, I have corrected this in the message sent.

Posted

I see what you mean, Marie. I suppose you could put next of kin and the soldier's name in the bottom line in the Person tag, but I think we need more input from Rob. It would be good to work this out, because I'm assuming at some point other taggers will be working through that diary.

Posted

I was just looking at them--thank you for fixing that link--and I think it's interesting that the dates given for each wound jump at the top of page 2 from 6 June 1917 to 9 June, so the list doesn't include casualties from the Battle of Messines on 7 and 8 June. I know your unit was there because they were in the same brigade as the 12th Royal Irish Rifles, whose diary I have working on, and the 12th RIR were involved in those operations. Casualties would have been much heavier on those two days.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

As far as tagging next of kin goes, I would just enter the name where it exists and classify them as 'other'. It's probably also worth adding 'Next of Kin' to the unit name field, as Cynthia suggests. Then include a #nextofkin comment so we can find the page again.

Where no name is given, you can't tag them.

A general note - it's best not to type anything into the name fields other than the name itself. That way it makes it much easier to search for later on. These next of kin names are a special case which I don't think we'll probably run across very much, but we might as well capture the information in case it's useful in ways we can't forsee at the moment.

Posted

I have a list of officers of the 1st Bn. East Surrey Regt. that includes next of kin. I'm glad I remembered this discussion! And that I found it again by searching for "next of kin." I also left a link to this thread in the Comments box so anyone coming behind me can see how to tag them.

Posted