War Diaries Talk

Cynthia In answer to your faint entry queries

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia- regarding your queries on the faint entries for the 48 Infantry Brigade, 1 Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Relieved by: Maybe by ... a 45th North Stafford Garrison Battalion and the name looks ... like 2/Lt. W G King. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003e0h

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks, Marie! I think you're right about the unit name although I still can't read the number. The author makes just a tiny mark for the "th" with numbers, so I do think it is definitely a two-digit number.

I also think you're right about the W. G., and the surname could be King. I had thought it might be Ray, but I just now compared the first letter with the uppercase R in Audruicq above it, and I don't think Ray is correct. I tried to Google 2nd Lt. W. G. King with the battalion name and Google seems to think I really want 2nd Lt. W. J. King instead. Although what turned up under either name was no help at all!

I went to the page to add your thoughts as comments, since I have already marked that page as finished, but I see that you have already done so. Thank you.

Cynthia

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Possibly this man: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2256567

Posted

I don't know, Rob. When I googled your man by his full name I found he was a lawyer and his surname seems to be Cooper-King, although Lives of the First World War doesn't show it hyphenated. I've found him in the Gazette from 27 July 1915 mentioned as becoming a temporary second lieutenant with the 11th Battalion North Staffordshires.

Also found this Record of Service of Solicitors http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Record_of_Service_of_Solicitors_and_Articled_Clerks_With_His_Majestys_1000827795/123 that shows his war record as only with the North Staffordshires.

I don't recall seeing the name in question in the diary prior to this instance, so I don't know when he joined the regiment. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not in the diary, just that I don't remember seeing it.

Posted

I've come across him again and I think it is King. The handwriting is clearer.

Posted

Looks like I wasn't concentrating very well last night! This is the second post where I've got completely confused and said the wrong thing. 😄

I wonder whether he was attached to the RMF - the only WG King who looks like a likely candidate I can find is linked to the Rifle Brigade.

Posted

It is definitely King. He was listed on a typed casualty return for the month of July 1916 as killed in action.

Posted

Does Lives of the First World War include Irish regiments? Just wondering.

Posted

Yes, all British and Commonwealth forces are included, and of course all the Irish regiments were British at that time.

Posted