War Diaries Talk

meyera - regarding your question - how do people read this its so hard?

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Your query on on diary page https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003bca

If you go into The Mess Hall Board / Useful Tips you will find this message: (Chrome Contrast Tool) by eathyourgreens Admin Moderator, I always use this Chrome extension and find it very useful! Also the zoom button on the right hand side of the diary pages.

...Pointed out by @simonedi in another thread here #/boards/BWD0000009/discussions/DWD00000en There's a Chrome extension that lets you change contrast, brightness, colour. etc. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sheen/mopkplcglehjfbedbngcglkmajhflnjk I've installed it and it works a treat to make some of the faded pages legible” ...

If you use this Chrome tool, it will appear in the top right hand corner of your screen. When you put the mouse pointer over this red coloured circle, it will show the message - "Apply Visual Filter" Hope this is of help to you.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

On the other hand, if your question is regarding the handwriting, there's a thread on the Questions and Answers Board on handwriting help. I agree that it can sometimes be difficult! I usually try to compare questionable letters or words to other examples on the page, such as searching for another place where a word starts with a letter that looks like the one you're questioning.

The most important thing is to capture people's names, which can also be the most difficult. Keep in mind, though, that four other people will have tagged each page before it is considered done. This allows for a few errors here and there without any awful consequences.

The boards here on the Talk page are really helpful, too.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Deciphering the handwriting also becomes a lot easier with practice. And, as @cyngast says, there are always people here to help out as you go along.

Posted