War Diaries Talk

Indents for hyposcope

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

What are "indents for hyposcopes"?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

A hyposcope was a sighting attachment which allowed a rifle to be aimed and fired without the rifleman having to expose himself above the trench parapet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periscope_rifle#Youlten_hyposcope

I'm not entirely certain what indents would have been. Could you give us the page reference so we can take a look?

Thanks.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

The page reference is AWD00038ly It's from the 3 CAVALRY DIVISION: DIVISIONAL AMMUNITION PARK (76 COMPANY A.S.C.) (1 FEB 1915 - 31 OCT 1917)

Posted

Okay, I think it's something to do with the sights, but I'm being foiled in my research by not being able to access websites giving details of weaponry 😄

I'll try again later on.

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

is it an order to the depot for a hyposcope? DADOS being Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to josiepegg's comment.

Oh, yes! Good point. I was thinking about indented sighting frames for the scopes, but actually an indent is also a little docket, isn't it? So it could well be either a confirmation of receipt, because they've taken delivery of the hyposcope, or, as you say, an order for one.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

In this case definitely putting in a request for the sights. Standard military terminology for trying to persuade stores to give you something...

Posted

Excellent - thanks for that, David.

Posted