War Diaries Talk

Tagging men sent to another unit

• Rusty57 by Rusty57

Just a beginner & am just getting my head around this.
    How would I tag " I Officer & 59 men sent to the 252nd Tunnelling Coy to be permanently attached."
    The officer is named in the margin so have tagged his name & joined/attached to Tunnellling Coy. I will tag the Tunnelling Coy as "Other Unit", but there is no option for a transfer, so just put "other" .? I wondered if #draft 1Officer & 59 men to 252 Tunneling Coy should be used as well?
    Thanks

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Welcome aboard! Thanks for getting involved.

It sounds like you've tagged as much info as you can there. You may find a summary of unit strength later in the diary too, which will reflect the detachment having left.

I wouldn't worry about using the #draft hashtag. That's more for new arrivals to the unit, rather than people leaving it. This detachment should show up in the tunnelling coy's diary, at which point they can then be hashtagged as a #draft.

Hope that helps 😃

Posted

• Rusty57 by Rusty57

Thanks ral104 . I forgot that it would also be mentioned in the Tunnelling Coy diay. I'm learning as I go along.

Posted

No problem at all - it gets a lot easier with practice. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions - we're always happy to help.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I would have tagged the officer as "Posted/detached" to the Tunneling Company. Which is the better way?

I've been interpreting "Joined/Attached" as people coming into the unit, such as Lt. Jones joined or Officer Zyzxx of ABC unit attached for instruction, and "Posted/detached" as people leaving the unit.

Posted

• Rusty57 by Rusty57

I realised after I had posted, that there was a Posted/detached option, and I was able to correct the tag.

Posted

Yes, good call everybody - I hadn't noticed that. Posted/detached is the way to go here.

Posted