War Diaries Talk

Confusing Tagging Out of Order Diary Pages in diary of 2nd Battalion Machine Gun Corps.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I would like to report the confusion with this diary as I am tagging it. My last 10 pages (from my profile records) run like this:-

... Signals Pad... Signals Pad ... Signals Pad ... An Order ... Diary page 1st Sept 1918 ... Diary Page 2nd Sept 1918 ... Signals Pad ... Signals Pad ... Diary Page 2nd Sept 1918 Link: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003a8t ... Order Dated 2 Sept. Link: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003ajf (I have given you the links for last 2, Diary page and Order listed). . I have commented on the last order page listed as #outoforder “Reported out of order pages to Moderator” .

The next page will be a diary page for 2nd Sept 1918. Note: All the pages run in sequence.

Perhaps you could please take a note of this. I would point out that it is very unusual in the diaries I have tagged previously to come across Orders, Signals Pads, Reports, to appear before the Diary Pages for the month in question instead of after it. i.e. Sept 1918. Also it was unusual to have in this diary Reports on Operations for Sept 1918-some had an October date on, when the diary itself had not come up.

I also had a Diary Cover Page for Sept 1918, which appeared after a report (which I marked at the time #outoforder) , then more signal pads and orders.

Because I do not know how the diary will run and my next page is 592 of 1071 pages, I would not know what pages I would tag #outoforder if it continues to run like this. Perhaps after reporting this maybe I better not tag #outoforder at the moment if they are confusing when they appear, unless they are apparent.

Sorry to be so long winded regarding this confusing query, I just thought you should know about it. It will probably be confusing for the next people who may tag the diary as well. (I hope you can understand all this). I will ‘Just keep Calm and Carry on’.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, Marie. I think this might be one of those instances where the pages have been taken out for research at some point and then put back into the folder in a slightly different way to what we'd usually expect. Pretty difficult for the staff at TNA to pick up on these things, which is why they sometimes find their way into the scanned copies too. It's probably not too much of an issue in this case, as the date order of the diary pages seems to be correct, and although the supplementary info is at the front of the month, rather than the back, it does seem to at least be grouped with the relevant period.

So unless the dates start getting out of kilter too, I wouldn't worry too much about tagging them as #outoforder now. The tags you've already placed will at least point us to the start of the sequence.

Posted