War Diaries Talk

Google Map on Diary Page

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Is there a glitch on the google map we use on the diary page? When I put in a new place and then try to put in (sure/not sure) it comes up with the place I put in previously, with the map showing that place on the screen. When I press (sure/not sure the map screen does not go back to blank. I will test it again Wednesday and see what happens. If it clears properly I will let you know. If not I may need your suggestions.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

no map problem here Marie except my page won't finish & turn.Have had many blue screens today fixed by clicking other & losing the page but only ever the one page for a while till it happens again.

Posted

Thanks Ral, that was a really quick reply! I will test it again when I continue tomorrow and see what happens. Could it possibly mean that my Browser Cache is full? I use Windows 7 Chrome.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'd like to take credit for the speedy response, but it was actually @141Dial34!

I was having a few odd problems myself yesterday - mainly being unable to place tags. Things seem to be okay this morning, but let me know if you're still experiencing issues and I'll see if I can work out what's going on.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to ral104's comment.

lol must look the same! no wait I'm a woman!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've had some issues with the geolocator over the past few days. It sometimes shows only a partial map of a place, such as the lower left-hand quarter, when I click on the name in the list. It's not consistent, though, in whether I get a full map or a partial map, or if a partial map, which part of it I get.

So far it hasn't really affected my tagging, as most of the places are now familiar to me and most have had only one choice, so I know those are correct.

I haven't had any other problems, but I didn't do any tagging yesterday, Oct. 27, when Rob had some trouble. I'm using Windows 8 and Firefox.

ETA: It's very sporadic. I was just trying to tag the village of Guillemont, east of Albert in the Somme area, and got only a partial map. This is what spurred me to come and post here. When I went back to the diary, and came to another place, Carnoy, when I opened the Place tag, there was a complete map for Guillemont!

Posted

Google Map Queries. I am in agreement with the comments made by Cynthia, at cgastwein~aol.com. Agree with first paragraph this has also been happening for a while. Agree also with last paragraph.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com in response to 141Dial34's comment.

Sorry, 141Dial34, did not give you the credit for such a quick reply. Thanks.

Posted

Yes, I had similar issues yesterday as well, although it's intermittent as Cynthia says and didn't actually stop me doing anything.

We have had odd issues now and again with the google maps pop up, but they usually resolve themselves within a couple of days. I'll see if I can find anything out about it today, but with a bit of luck it will magically disappear! If not, I'm the clever folk at the Zooniverse will be able to help us out.

If anybody else is experiencing similar issues, do let us know. Similarly, if you find the issue has cleared up.

Posted

This issue has not cleared up. If I enter a place it is still showing the previous place and will not return the screen to a blank one, when I want to put in not sure. It is making it awkward to tag places when it happens. It happens with some places and not others. Sometimes the screen goes back to blank and sometimes not.

Posted

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

I've experienced both the issue described by Marie, and the issue described by Cynthia - this last this afternoon.

I would describe them both as intermittent, in that I don't experience them all the time, and I've never had both at the same time. However, if one of these occurs, it tends to hang around for days.

In the past I've tried cache clearing and rebooting but that doesn't seem to help, so I don't do that any more.

Regards
    Peter

Posted

I wonder if these issues have anything to do with the changes Google recently made to its maps. It seems like they can't stop fussing with it and keep trying to "improve" it.

Posted

Thanks, all. I've also had the same issues this afternoon. I feel like it probably is something to do with changes to google maps, as Cynthia suggests, but I'll forward it on to the Zooniverse support desk, who will have a much better idea of what's going on than me.

I'll keep you updated.

Posted

Now the geolocator has a new trick. If I type in the name of a place that does not turn up, specifically in this case the village of Montechor, which Google Maps indicates is part of Montcavral, the previous place's map comes up and stays there even after I click on Not sure/None of these.

The next time I use the Place tag, the box is gray when I open it, rather than the blue that used to be there.

Posted

Same thing just happened to me! I'll let you know what the Zooniverse guys say, although might take a little while as we're all in different time zones.

Posted

Jim at the Zooniverse has taken a look at this now (thanks, Jim!). He's made a slight change which should hopefully deal with the issues with the map not centering where the place is unknown. Let me know if you still experience any problems, but hopefully that ought to fix things.

Posted

Thank-you. Problem with Google Map seems to be alright now. Did not have an issue with it today.

Posted

Excellent!

Posted

Geolocator was working great yesterday and earlier today, but now, at about 5:30 P.M. US Pacific Standard Time, it is not bringing up any maps at all.

ETA, Tuesday morning, US Pacific Time: the geolactor seems to be fine again today.

Posted

Thanks for update, Cynthia. Let's hope it was just a temporary glitch, but if it continues let me know and I'll pass it on to the Zooniverse guys.

Posted