War Diaries Talk

code?

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

Last paragraph..

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Very difficult to make out, but it looks like details of reinforcements, I think.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

.."following reinforcements ...Plaice..Pike.. Peacock..,,just looks like coded names..

Posted

If you look after the names, though, it says thing like 'x officers, x men' (x being a number). Whether the names are of the officers commanding detachments or perhaps places they're picking people up at is unclear.

Posted

• csweett by csweett moderator

I've featured this page on our Facebook page so we might get some answers on what these coded names mean

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Not sure but I think they are Signal Pad Code Words. e.g. : Plaice/Pike/Peacock/Pilchard/Face codes being used on signal pads. I seem to remember an entry on a signal pad for 'Face'. Also, see 5th line down entry on the diary page . ..."D415 from 'Q'. X Corps Wire...." D415 may be the number of the person sending the signal pad/ or the number of the signal - regarding the number of Officer reinforcements.

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001hwr
    A Signals Pad I tagged a long time ago – Left hand Side at bottom shows it is from FACT , which seems to be a code word for the signal sender.

Posted

Great stuff, Marie - thanks for the example!

Posted