War Diaries Talk

Horses

• Juannd by Juannd

I am tagging a diary relating to a Veterinary section. The entries list horses sick or wounded. Should I record these using the Standard Tag for Casualties?
    Many thanks! Julie

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to Juannd's comment.

I don't think so. It is my understanding that these entries are "routine" for Veterinary sections and so are not considered important enough to be tagged.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, @deehar is absolutely right.

If there's anything particularly noteworthy about the wounded horses - they've been wounded in action, for example - you can use the #horsescasualties hashtag to note them in the comment box.

Thanks!

Posted

• Juannd by Juannd

Many thanks for your comments. Best wishes, Julie

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

I too have just started tagging a vet mobile unit. I understand your explanation as to how to make hashtag comments but does that mean I cannot tag the actual diary entries to marry up the comments with when they occurred?
    Thank you Jan

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Not sure what you mean Jan? You don't use the standard casualties tag for horses at all - it's for people. That's why we started the various horse hashtags because otherwise we have no way at all of tagging horse casualties.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to HeatherC's comment.

I understand these tags are for people only but I thought that hashtag comments were for extra information of items tagged on the actual diary, ie. for tag 'under fire' - comments hashtag weapons used, severity of attack etc.
    I assumed whoever was reading the diary would want an indication as to where this event happened in the diary. When tagging troops if I tag 'medical' I would put a comments hashtag with named illness, inoculation etc.
    I shall of course tag and hashtag as you've stated but just thought I'd let you know why I submitted this question.
    Regards
    Jan

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Jan,

You're right of course that often hashtags are for adding additional information which the standard tags don't capture. However, they also allow us to capture information for which no standard tag exists, in this case horses. In both cases, the hashtag is stored alongside the diary page, so we can always link it to a date.

Hope that helps.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to ral104's comment.

Thank you for clarifying this and your patience. Regards Jan

Posted