War Diaries Talk

How should I tag notes attached to diary page?

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This diary is for the 30th Brigade Royal Field Artillery, consisting of the 128th, 129th and 130th Batteries. At this point, May 1915, the 130th Battery is attached to another unit (I don't remember which one at the moment but it doesn't figure in my question), while a section of the 110th Battery is attached to the 30th Brigade.

My question deals with the note, on top of the diary page, which is labeled 129th Battery, which is attached to the 5th Division at this point. I did not tag this one, and the following page is the diary page, which appears sideways here, turned the right way round with the note folded back. But then the next page has a second note that continues the events occurring to the 129th Battery. A message in the comments box on that page indicates that the situation persists through the month of May.

I have stopped at this page with the second note and decided to ask how to proceed here. Will tagging the notes with their dates confuse the timeline for the main diary pages?

I'll move to another diary until I hear back. I realize it might still be a holiday and then the weekend is coming up.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No, if you tag the notes with their dates, that should be fine, timeline-wise. Interesting situation, though. I haven't seen this before.

Just to check I've totally understood: each note is effectively its own diary page. The underlying page appears the right way up as well?

Posted

Yes, the notes are essentially a diary of only the 129th Battery, probably written separately because it was attached to the 5th Division. When I clicked Finish on this page, the next one showed the official War Diary page seen here but it was the right way up. I could see the note folded back to uncover what's underneath it. I was concerned that by tagging this page as May 1, 2, 3, and 4, there might be a problem by also tagging the following page as May 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I feel certain that the pages with the notes are sideways so that the note can be read.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

How interesting. I've seen notes attached to pages like this before with the page scanned twice, once with and once without the note showing and I'm sure you are correct about why it's been scanned like this. However I haven't seen one which is effectively a diary within a diary like this. The notes I have seen have all been to add a paragraph into the page or supplement something that's already been said.

As Rob says tag the notes with their own dates. Not really sure what else you could do and the situation is similar to when sub-unit diary pages are contained within the main diary and the dates go back and forth, which is a situation I know we've had before.

Posted

Okay. I'll go ahead and tag the notes as diary pages.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Great stuff - thanks!

Posted