War Diaries Talk

Orders tag: what should go in References box - and other issues

• deehar by deehar

Some orders have complex references codes, others just an OO number and a few have no identification code whatsoever.

Most orders have a heading "references" with map sheet numbers - should these be included ?
    Should I enter "none" when there is no code.
    Is an OO number sufficient or should I add the unit name?

Another wider problem is how to tag successive pages in orders which take up more than one page. I generally repeat the Ref tag with addition of (cont) to the code. Have I missed a discussion of this point in any board?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi, @deehar. Sorry for the delayed response.

In general, just enter what you see. So, if there is no reference, there's no need to use the reference tag. Otherwise, just enter whatever reference appears. For references that span multiple pages, just enter the reference again for each page - there's no need to add anything like 'cont.' We can use the reference to group all those order pages together. We can also use it to see whether the order is a duplicate appearing in many diaries, or is unique to one particular diary.

I would ignore the map sheet numbers - for this project, we're primarily concerned with what actually happened, rather than with what was planned to happen, which is why there are relatively few orders tags.

Hope that helps!

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to ral104's comment.

OK - hope you had a good Christmas! Thanks for confirming that what I was doing wasn't too far off target. I was wondering what incredibly flexible software you would be using to process our random inputs and how to avoid messing things up!

Posted

Sounds like you pretty much had the right idea 😃

Hope you had a good Christmas too!

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

The scroll slide on the side of talk bubble on a diary page suddenly won't slide so I cant see what's written.The whole box just moves.What have I done?

Posted

I don't know. It works fine for me. Have you tried reloading the page?

If the problem persists, let us know which browser you're using (including which version) and we'll see if we can get the clever people at the Zooniverse to work out what's going on.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

@141Dial34 , if possible, try a different browser. If it works there, it's possible you tweaked something in your browser settings by accident. Thanks!!

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

HAPPY NEW YEAR! latest mozilla firefox in windows 7(chrome was too slow) and I remember a few days ago the whole talk box would follow the mouse around the screen & took me ages to exit as the pointer was stuck in the talk bubble and I couldn't click on the X.So I must have clicked something wrong then.The mouse works now but still the slide problem but It just means doubling up on hashtags.I can use the slide in other things like mail outside of zooniverse.

Posted

Very odd. When @DZM comes back, we'll get him to raise this with the developers and see what can be done about it. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

No problem.Luckily this diary is mostly tagging names.I have tagged 24 pages @ av.45 per page =over 1000 and now they are coming back from hospital so more names! The most common name seems to be J Jones.When 600 men die they have to be replaced and I have a very diligent diary author/commander.No man is missed!Very sobering.

Posted

Thanks for tagging all of them - really makes a difference!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ral104's comment.

I'm back, but I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding exactly what @141Dial34 's issue is.

Could someone perhaps please break it down for me so I can be sure that the developers understand exactly what's going on?

Thanks!! 😃

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't know if this is exactly the same issue, but I have the same experience if I try to use the slide in the Comment box. I use Firefox for my browser. But it isn't an problem that has suddenly arisen. It has been this way since I first began working on OWD sometime last spring or summer.

However, I CAN use the little arrows to click on and move any previous content in the Comment box up and down that way. When I try to use the slide, the whole box--not just the window where the actual comments appear--moves up or down on the screen.

It has never really been an inconvenience for me because clicking on the arrows works just fine.

I seem to recall this issue being discussed previously here a few months ago.

Actually just remembered that I also can't copy anything in the comments box. From time to time, people have added a URL and if I try to drag the cursor through it to highlight and copy it, the whole box slides sideways.

Posted

• vishep by vishep

I also use Firefox and have had same problem for a long time. I use the mouse wheel to move the comments up and down.

Posted

Do either of these solutions work for you, Dial?

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Hi,

I've fixed that bug with dragging the timeline and comments popups. Looks like it's been there ever since the site was launched.

@cgastwein@aol.com Cut-and-paste from the comments should work now too.

Cheers
    Jim

Posted

Thanks, Jim!

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001j9t

Not sure what has happened here - Tagged the above diary page, when trying to insert place name on the google map, I must have pressed something that made me lose the above page. I had not signed out. Recovered the page from the diary - 1 Btn. DCLI, but when it came back, there were non of my tags on it. I thought if you lost a page and recovered it without signing out, it would come back with the tags on it. Although the remarks made in the comments box at the top of the page were still there. This has happened before. I therefore tagged the page again. I am using Windows 7, Chrome.

Posted

That's strange. I'm not an expert on this, but I guess your browser would need to allow cookies from Operation War Diary to ensure your tags are saved. Do you have these blocked?

I'm sure Jim will correct me if I'm completely wrong!

Posted

I asked my son to check, but he said the cookie settings seem to be fine. I might just have to be more careful 😄

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to ral104's comment.

YES!!! ty

Posted

Losing Tags on pages: Regarding this issue when I lose a page. i.e. Lost the page, not signed out, recovered it back from diary page no tags on it though. Although It did flash past and tags were seen but then page disappeared. Then the page came up without the tags. Tagged the page again. Asked my son to check the cookies but the settings were fine. Thought when you lost a page and recovered it the tags would come back. This is not the first time this has happened. Using Windows 7 and Chrome.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to marie.eklid@virginmedia.com's comment.

I thought the same and it has always been the case for me, but I'm on Firefox

Posted

I'm using Chrome and it's working fine for me, but I'll see if Zooniverse are aware of any issues.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ral104's comment.

@ral104, are you putting through a bug report? Do you have a line to one of our devs? Or should I?

If you have put something through and don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time, hit me up and I can do some pestering. 😃

Thanks!!

Posted

Thanks, Darren. I've PMed you.

Posted

Diary Header for the Diary of 1 Btn DCLI states: 1 Jan 1916-July 1916. This should be 1 Jan 1916-31 Aug 1916. It does end though on page 157 of 157 as below:
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001j8z

Posted

Thanks, Marie.

Posted