War Diaries Talk

Mustn't grumble?

• deehar by deehar

Very occasionally the diary author dares to criticize or report a criticism of units/situations. I have been tempted to use a hashtag #complaint. Am I out of line ?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I'm not sure about this one. It's often hard to judge from our viewpoint whether it's really criticism or not. I'm not personally in favour of this kind of hashtag where we are making a judgment on what people said at the time

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, I think where there's specific mention of kit, say, we could use #equipmentevaluation. Or if it's something of particular note you could flag it as a #story, but it's difficult to consistently use a tag for something as subjective as criticism.

That said, why not continue using it and see how you feel it goes? If it seems that there is a real need for it, and there are lots of instances where the criticism is unambiguous, then perhaps we ought to add it to the hashtag list.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

I have had three instances.

1. Officers complained to higher-ups that their men had not been given less leave than in other units
    2. Medical Officer informed the CO that the billets were unhygienic
    3. CO claimed that other unit had failed to take advantage of situation in attack.

I agree that this is a level of interpretation which is possibly above our pay grade 😃

Posted

• deehar by deehar

oops typo in point 1 - extra not crept in !

Posted