War Diaries Talk

Tagging Orders and the Reason for a Name

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

I've come across this a few times, so thought I better ask the question - when tagging orders, we are supposed to tag all names and "why they were mentioned". When tagging the name of the officer signing the order, can we choose "Author of diary" if it is not clear that the officer is actually "In command", or should we choose "Other" since this is an order and not a diary page? Here is a link to an order page for reference - signature block only indicates the officers rank and "General Staff", so it is not clear if the officer is "In Command". Contact Patrol Work - Operational Order.

according to the field guide

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

First of all yes please do tag all names in Orders. I think tagging names is THE single most important thing in this project as just occasionally in Orders you do come across some totally obscure name not seen anywhere else.

Secondly on the subject of what to do about people signing orders. Good question and not one that has a definitive answer! I admit I'd pondered this one too while tagging. As you say this Order is signed by a Staff Officer and so "in command" is not appropriate. "Author of Diary" is very tempting, but really he isn't and you can't even be sure he's really the author of the order either, he's just the guy whose signature went on it. I think it has to be "other" to be completely correct. Interested to hear what others have done though.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'd go with 'Other' too in this situation.

Posted

• Arthur494 by Arthur494

Do 'Joined' and 'Posted' apply only for officers and ORs joining or leaving the unit covered by the diary? I have started an Artillery unit (39 Brigade RFA) and officers are often being transferred, apparently within the unit, from one battery to another: "Capt. Dickenson posted as captain to 46th Bty vice Capt. Mason posted as Bty commander to 114th Bty." I've labelled them as 'In command'? Later on the same page 2/Lt. Spafford joins the Bde from 1st DAC and is posted to 30th Bty. He's presumably 'Joined', with the unit '1st DAC'. Or should that be '30th Bty'?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Yes joined and posted should only be used for postings to and from the unit, not merely within the unit. In the case you mention I would use the name of the sub-unit (Battery) that he is joining if you know it as you do in this case, not the unit he came from.

Posted