War Diaries Talk

Tagging Dates

• NortonCaff by NortonCaff

i assumed that when tagging orders that "date" meant date of the orders themselves. The page I am looking at refers to several movement dates. should I be tagging them as well?
    And I so wish for a "go back" button to put right all the things I have done wrong!!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The Field Guide says "This is the date the Orders were issued on. The date is important because different versions of the Order may been issued to update or supersede the original." so I think the answer to your question is no. And we've all wished for the back button but don't worry, the way the interface works means it looks for a "best fit" between tags placed by 5 different people so individual errors get smoothed out.

Posted

• NortonCaff by NortonCaff

Good thanks. I shall continue as I have done then. It always pays to ask.

Posted

• MGHogue by MGHogue

Okay, I've got a diary page, no year on it. Just "Sept (con)". It's from 2 CAVALRY DIVISION: 4 (Queen's Own) Hussars (31 Jul 1914 - 29 Apr 1919).
    What do I do?

Posted

Enter as much of the date as you can. You can click in the text box at the top of the date entry and delete the year. Sooner or later something will come along with the year on and then you can add it in from there forwards. Don't worry about this as the system takes a "best fit" between at least five sets of tags and it will use the month / day part of yours to do so and the "year" part from others who may have started the diary elsewhere and so know the year.

Posted

• jennylynne by jennylynne

how do you find out what date the page relates to if it is undated ?

Posted

You can't. Tag what you can out of Year / Month / Day leaving out those you can't. If you can't do any at all then leave the date tag completely.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

We'll be able to fill in incomplete or missing dates later.

Posted