War Diaries Talk

Tagging weather when "Very wet" or "Still wet"

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

Okay - here is a question I've thought about for some time. I'm seeing this a lot, so thought I better raise the question - it is the first part of February 1916 and often a diary entry starts off with "Very wet" or "Still wet". The guide indicates that we should select the category that is closest to the description. Would you take into account the time of the year and select "Cold/Very cold/Snow" or tag as "Rain/Storm"? The choice is easy when the day is "dry", but not having a "wet" option is why I ask. Maybe this would be a good recommendation, to add a "wet" option since we have a "Dry/Fine/Sunny" option. Thanks!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Good question and we're never going to have the perfect set of weather tags as the descriptions in the diaries are so variable. I think when you have something that doesn't fit any tag like this then maybe think about if you were there what would be the most significant thing about the weather to you in this description. In this case "wet" so I'd definitely tag "rain / storm" and not "cold / very cold / snow" which I tend to leave for times when they actually say it's snowing or when the comment dwells on how cold it is rather than how wet. Of course when you get "Cold and wet" this doesn't work so then either choose one or tag with both!

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

Good point! I've "been there - done that" many times! Although, I can see I may be thinking in more detail than I really should. "Green" is just that - "Green". It's not "Yellow and Blue"! 😃 Thanks again for your help!

Posted