War Diaries Talk

Top section covered by paper

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

Take a look at the image of this diary page. Was this on purpose? The first three entries are covered by paper.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

And I bet the next page is the same thing with the paper folded back?

Yes this is deliberate. When the pages were scanned, the people doing it didn't have time to read every note or attachment to see if it had useful info on so they scanned pages like this twice, once showing the note or attachment and once with it folded back, showing the rest of the page.

If there isn't a copy of the page with the paper folded back them it has been missed during scanning so use the tag hashtag badscan to indicate it.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I see the next page was indeed the same thing scanned with the paper folded back. This is difficult when it turns up since as you cannot go back or forward a page while tagging, you have no way of knowing if the page will actually have been scammed twice, once with and once without the paper over it. They aren't really badscans and the second page isn't really a duplicate but that's OK because hashtags can be easily deleted.

In this case to avoid missing stuff if the page hasn't been scanned twice, what I usually do is tag everything I can see on the first page and then just tag the bits that were hidden on the second. I did have one report where some pages had four bits of paper stuck over to make corrections (no Tippex in those days!) and that was tricky to remember what you had already tagged and so not duplicate stuff as such pages were scanned four times!

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA in response to HeatherC's comment.

Thanks Heather. Yeah - I noticed this after I moved on to the next page. Will keep this in mind. Thanks again!

Posted