War Diaries Talk

Unit Activity tag questions

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've got a couple of questions about items under the Unit Activity category.

1. Should references to putting up or repairing wire entanglements be tagged under "Digging/repairing positions" or under "Construction"? It seems to me that they're an integral part of the position, while I think of construction as more like building shelters or filling in shell holes in roadways.

2. In the Field Guide, the explanation for Re-Supplying mentions a steady supply of men and horses as well as things like rations and ammunition. Does this mean that drafts of men and horses could be tagged as "Re-supplying"?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

My thoughts on this

1. I agree with your inclination to put the erection or repair of wire entanglements under "digging / repairing position" rather than "construction"
    2. No I don't think so. The Field Manual does then go on to say "Tag any mention of supplies being acquired, arranged, managed or delivered." People and horses aren't supplies, despite what the first sentence says.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Heather. The Field Guide entry on Re-supplying seems ambiguous by first mentioning men and horses, but then referring simply to supplies. I'll abide by your thoughts on the subject.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I agree it seems ambiguous in exactly the way you describe, but certainly no Army that I am aware of would use the term re-supply to refer to drafts of men. Replacement horses might be a different matter actually, but for now I'd leave it as meaning supplies of material rather than men/horses.

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

How about cleaning of billets? Tag as Hygiene or something else? Hygiene is more personal from what I gather. Any thoughts?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to IKINAWANA's comment.

Hygiene is intended to be personal yes so not that. Tag as accommodation maybe as it mentions billets. Remember we can't tag everything!

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

Thanks again. Yes - can't tag everything, however, I don't want to miss something that should be tagged. I'm really enjoying this project! Thanks again!

Posted