War Diaries Talk

PLACE

• THOMAS9993 by THOMAS9993

I find this curious...When I enter a name of a city, I often get a true accurate spelling of the location compete with accent marks...etc. Seems to me that I should be able to highlight the name from the dropdown list and have that proper spelling reflect as the name of the place. My entry should be overwritten by the accuracy of the name that maps finds. I have to think that down the road, locations will not be easily found unless there is some uniform protocol agreement on PLACE names.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, @THOMAS9993. In actual fact, the way things were written is often of interest to the historians too, so no need to worry if place names don't appear exactly right. By placing it on the map as well, we can link that name to a geo-coded location, which will later allow us to track other misspellings to the same place. Inevitably, there will be a certain amount of manual reconciliation required post data-processing. However, on recent maps plotted from the data, we found that only ~5% of the tags are incorrect, which is a significant achievement and just goes to show what a fantastic job everybody is doing. Thanks for everything you're doing!

Posted