War Diaries Talk

'Under fire' and 'Enemy activity'

• panjandrum by panjandrum

The guide tells me that 'Under fire' means enemy artillery. What should I tag if the 'enemy suddenly advanced from their trenches and made a rush...'?
    It seems a bit tame to tag this as 'Enemy activity', but that's the only thing I can think of.
    Am I missing something?

Posted

... And is '... subjected to continuous shelling and sniping all day' just 'Under fire' or should I include 'Enemy activity'?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Enemy activity is the only thing you can tag the enemy attack as. I think if snipers are specifically mentioned then you can also tag that as enemy activity since it's more detail that just the artillery fire. That's what I'm doing anyway!

Posted

Thanks Heather. I guess I'll have to live with that.
    It's just that the guide describes Enemy Activity thus 'Careful observation of enemy troops and artillery could reveal if they were preparing to raid, launch an attack or withdraw. Tag any mention of German activity including troop movements.' In other words, just about anything that doesn't involve actually attacking 😃

Posted

• vikingwp by vikingwp

I'm using under fire as any kind of bombing, firing, gassing, or other type of ordnance being dropped/fired onto the British troops regardless of its intensity or the number of weapons involved in the firing. I've used enemy activity more for observation/recon of their movements, their positions, planes flying overhead that don't bomb them... just about anything that doesn't involve being actively attacked. If I note a rush of the enemy toward British trenches, I assume they're firing something or they wouldn't be rushing for long!

Posted

I like vikingwp's understanding of 'under fire'. That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Moved thread

Posted