War Diaries Talk

How do I tag a Scheme?

• mobow by mobow

I have come across the term "scheme" which seems to refer to either some sort of training or exercise. I have tagged these as training but I'm not sure if this is right.

Guidance would be welcome.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Question has been asked before with reference to a Cavalry Unit. Here's the answer I gave last time.

"It does slightly depend on the context. A scheme (often with the words "of manoeuvre" added in modern useage) is basically the plan that describes how troops will organise to achieve a certain task or aim. Thus for a Cavalry Unit they might have a defensive scheme or an attacking scheme that would be pre-set and they would use it in an actual operation. If they are not in the line when you see this term it's likely to be training in how to do this scheme. If they are in the line they may be using the actual scheme itself.

I'm tagging an Engineer Field Sqn and there is much talk of the "Divisional Scheme" which is the outline of how the Division is organising its trenches and other defences. I have had both training examples - e.g. "The Sqn officers to Div HQ to be informed of Div Scheme" and doing examples e.g. "Construction continued according to Div scheme"."

Hope that helps in the context you have?

Posted

• mobow by mobow

Sorry if I have asked a question that's been answered before.

It's a cavalry regiment I'm tagging. They seem to be in billets as most days there is "Exercise" and Stables" with a digging party nearby.

One example of the context was "All subaltern officers instructed in patrol leading, scheme during the morning, near Wardrecques"

Another was "C.O. and Squadron leaders carried out a trench scheme near Bois de Ham with G O C 4th Cavalry Brigade"

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Oh don't worry about asking the same question again - it's not exactly easy to find things in this forum! I did use the search function and looked for "scheme" and found the old thread, but then I knew we'd talked about it before.

Those definitely sound like training for the officers in the Regimental and Brigade standard plans and I'd tag them as training.

Posted

• mobow by mobow

Thanks Heather

That's a great help especially as I've come across more schemes

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Merged thread

Posted