War Diaries Talk

• linda2 by linda2

4 DIVISION: 11 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 1 BATTALION RIFLE BRIGADE. (1 AUG 1914 - 30 JUN 1915) : Mutch more information in the report then in the diary. Can not tag on injury's, time,christmaspeace ... have the impression that because it is a report and not a diarypage a lot of information will be lost... perhaps not lost but not tagged ! That's the way this author complete his diary's. I know this place, not so far away, Ploegsteert (off all places !)

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Linda - can you give us a link so we can see it please and maybe see what kind of report it is? I know what you mean about some of these reports and it is frustrating but if we can see it maybe we can advise?

Posted

• linda2 by linda2

http://www.operationwardiary.org/#/classify/52d0569b3ae74026a307138e , is this ok ?

For me, first time, some live-report on the "christmas-peace hold" in 1914. Know this from books and films but these pages will stay in my memory... now I have all these reports (no problem) after 26 dec. but I want to know what will happen on the 27 dec. 2014...

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to linda2's comment.

Hi Linda

No sorry that doesn't work. the link just takes us to our own classification page I'm afraid. Try this:

How to link to a page.

Click on the profile link at the top of the classification page (not this talk page but the diary one)
    Scroll down to recent pages
    Click on the page you want to link to (it only shows the last half dozen or so you have done) to open it
    Copy the unique link from the top browser bar and paste it in here

Hope that helps!

Posted

• linda2 by linda2

Like this ?

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD00016ie

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to linda2's comment.

Exactly like that 😃

I see what you mean. It looks like an after action report? I'm afraid unless it's split by date like the diary is that you have to tag it as a report. The most important thing is to get the names of the individuals though. And to be honest, whatever you tag there is no substitute for actually reading the narrative for something like that and to do that a researcher would have to download the diary anyway.

Heather

Posted