War Diaries Talk

Countermanded Orders

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

How should I tag this, it isn't a withdrawal? Received orders to proceed back to where we were yesterday.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Just to be clear you don't tag when they receive orders at all, you tag when they actually carry out the orders (I'm sure you know this but just wanted to make it clear!). Has to be "Unit Movement" I think and then if you can use "in support", "in reserve" or "in the line" to say where they ended up maybe?

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Thank you Heather but there's a slight misunderstanding of what I was asking. Battalion followed their orders so I tagged Unit Movement, but although the movement was back it was not a withdrawal. It sounds as though headquarters couldn't make up their mind what they wanted and sent the men back to where they'd just come from.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Ah OK sorry Jan, that's clearer now. Yes I've had similar and I think we should only use withdrawal as in "the attack failed and so we withdrew to the starting point" or for the kind of actions we were seeing in the early months of the war where they were constantly pulling back as the Germans advanced (I'm pretty sure you think this too from what you say!) I think in this case you did the right thing by just using Unit Movement

Posted