War Diaries Talk

Report or Diary?

• Ravno by Ravno

I had originally marked one of theses pages as a report, due to the format diffference from the normal diaries. Could I do it as a report? I feel like there is a lot of good information in these pages which are lost by classing it as a report, but it's not necessarily a traditional diary page either as it's from a Headquarters Unit/Section.

What is the best method to use to classify this type of page?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

It looks like a diary as it seems to be describing events day by day. When you say "not a traditional diary page" do you just mean it's not on the "War Diary" standard form because actually this was quite common. I've tagged some that were clearly written on pages torn out of a notebook!

Not quite sure what you mean by HQ Unit - which Unit's diary is this exactly?

My feeling from what we see here would be to class it as a diary page since otherwise as you quite rightly say a lot of detail can't be tagged.

Heather

Posted

• Ravno by Ravno

The more that I thought about it yesterday afternoon the more that I leaned towards your answer. I think that I was just thrown off by the lack of the normal diary page (I'm very new to the project, up to this point I've had the luxury of all diary pages actually being on the form).

The second thing that threw me off was due to the nature of the unit I think the information is of a much more macro level than micro. The unit name is : 7 DIVISION: Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery.

I will continue and list these as diary pages. Thanks again for your help HeatherC.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

You are spot on about the nature of the Unit being macro rather than micro (what a nice way to describe it!). Effectively it's the HQ branch that oversees all the Artillery Units in the Division. You will find more in the way of orders, reports and odd pages in these HQ diaries than in the normal unit ones.

I think the way to decide is if they are set out with day to day entries like this then use the diary classification. Otherwise use whatever seems most appropriate.

Heather

Posted