War Diaries Talk

Grid References

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've been tagging a unit of Royal Engineers with a diary that continued into 1919. The author of this diary was extremely meticulous about using grid references for nearly every location including towns, camps, bridges, etc. When they moved into Belgium about Dec. 1919, the format of the grid references changed a bit, so they began with a number rather than the upper case letter and the second letter that was lower case was now in upper case. Given this author's history of meticulous recording of previous references, I don't think this was an error or oversight especially since this new format was also consistent. I've been tagging them by skipping that first box and starting in the second box with the number, but I wanted to see if this is the best way to do this. I'm also wondering if the maps they had for areas in Belgium were marked differently than those for France.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm afraid I don't know whether there were differences in the maps issued for France and Belgium. However, the way you're handling the data sounds eminently sensible, and we'll of course be picking up location information from the place name and map data (if provided) too.

Posted