War Diaries Talk

6 DIVISION: Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi everyone,

Could I ask your advice on this diary, please? http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0002o6l

I just started a diary from 6 DIVISION: Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery. There are multiple units, orders, grid refs, etc., mentioned and I'm finding it hard to differentiate what my units actual activities were.

Am I right in thinking that because it's ''HQ Branches and Services: Commander .....'', that they were responsible more in an active administrative way than a combat one? I'm asking so I can understand their role which will help me see how to approach the tagging. Any opinions gratefully received.

Best wishes,
    Maria

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Maria

There's still some discussion going on about how to tag diaries that are part of the HQ Branch. I was under the impression that they were not supposed to be put out to tag yet. To be honest I'd recommend you choose another Diary for now and that people in general avoid tagging diaries belonging to Brigade or Divisional HQs for now.

Heather

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Commander Royal Artillery was responsible for the overall activities of all the artillery units forming part of the Division, they would be responsible for tasking the various artillery brigades (and later other units like trench mortars too possibly). Obviously he's not directly firing the guns himself, but as the title Commander suggests, it was an active role, rather than a pure staff position. There was also the Commander Royal Engineers, who had a similar role for engineering units. In the case of the CRE diary I've looked at previously, there were pretty detailed daily reports of activities which - since a large chunk of the diary of the field company I was interested in was missing - were a god send.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi guys,
    I've noticed that there are now a few diaries listed that seem to be part of the HQ Branch and higher. Should we still avoid tagging them for now, as Heather suggested? Has there been any clarification on how to tag HQ Branch diaries? Thank you in advance. 😃
    Maria

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Maria

No there's nothing further to add I'm afraid, except that I still thought they weren't supposed to be being put out for tagging yet... Feel free to tag them if they are there but be aware that they aren't as straightforward as the usual Unit diaries and that ultimately the way they are tagged could get changed slightly.

Heather

Posted