War Diaries Talk

OTHER UNIT TAG?

• Maria64 by Maria64

I'm sorry if it's just me but I could have sworn that there was an Other Unit tag listed in the Diary Page section before but it doesn't seem to be there now since the changes?
    The 'Other Unit' tag IS listed under Signals Pads section but I thought it would have been important in the Diary Page section. Could you please advise? Many thanks, Maria.

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

You're right it has disappeared off the bottom of the list, I'm not sure why. It's gone from the Field Guide too. I thought it was a very useful tag and used it a lot to record other units that 'my' unit came in to contact with.

Posted

• bootnecksbs by bootnecksbs

It's not a bug the programmers and beta testers have been hard at work and made a fair few modifications. To name but a few:-

Unity Activity lists about 10 new/modified activities, Casualties has non-combat and non-specified as choices, there's a new "Unit Strength" tag all by itself with choices of Officers, NCO's and Other Ranks and the "Person" tag has a few additions/modifications

No change with the "Weather" tag (could have done with cloudy, windy etc.)

But nonetheless EXCELLENT work by the programmers I'm sure we all wish to say a big "TA" to all involved with the changes for making our lives a little easier and for listening to our feedback...see, it does pay to moan (just a little bit and only now and again eh!)

Check out this discussion thread, posted by @lukesmith moderator, which will explain it better than my ramblings:-

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD0000003/discussions/DWD00008pc?page=1&comment_id=534941fbda653d6120000090

Regards, Max

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

I think the new tags are great, and really appreciate the changes that have been made, particularly with the Unit Activity. Although from the Field Guide it says that the Unit Strength tag is just to be used for the total strength and not when groups of men are joining or leaving the unit - I have yet to come across an instance to use it like this, it's usually a small group of men joining, so I'm not sure how useful this one will be.

I did read the thread that @lukesmith posted, but it didn't mention removing tags, so I was just wondering why the Other Unit tag was missing as I found it very useful.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

You are correct that it has vanished. I'm not sure if this was a deliberate decision or an error that we missed. It will probably have to wait until Monday now before any project admin can look at it. In the meantime, I hope like me you are glad to see all the positive changes made in response to feedback from users.

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

@angeihart -- several of the units I've tagged have had monthly strength reports, though I agree it would be useful to have an easier way to note when groups of unnamed men are joining or leaving.

Posted

I also see the "Reference" tag from the diary page is also gone (used to tag the reports and orders that appear as appendices) Again I'm afraid I can't recall if this was supposed to vanish in these changes or not...

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

I'm also very impressed with the new tags that have been released - thanks guys! It's made us feel a real part of the project and I appreciate it as I'm sure everyone else does too.
    Regarding the ''other unit'' tag missing from the diary page, it just struck me by it's absence - thank heavens it wasn't just my imagination, Heather! I knew I wasn't going that crazy. It seemed that this was really important information to have, tracking units etc., so I hope I did the right thing in bringing this up. Thanks, Heather - hopefully Monday will bring us answers.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

The Other Unit tag - like other volunteers, wonder if they will bring it back.

Posted

• poppynine by poppynine in response to HeatherC's comment.

I have lost neither the 'Other Unit' nor 'Reference' tags and have been using them. I use Firefox on Windows 7.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64 in response to poppynine's comment.

That's interesting, poppynine. Hopefully the project admin will clarify it for us tomorrow.

I agree, angiehart. I knew there'd been changes as I'd also already read lukesmith's thread, which Max suggested reading, but I couldn't see anything about removing this tag in the tagging update either.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to poppynine's comment.

@poppynine but do you have the new tags? Refresh the page and you will find the old version disappears and the new version appears. I could still see the old version and the old Field Guide until I did this.

@Maria64 I see what you are trying to do but I'm not sure it can be used to do what you intend as I don't think the matching software takes account of hashtags and a hashtag is not specific to a location on a page. In any case, hopefully the people who have tagged those pages previously will have tagged the Units so the fact that you have not is not a huge issue. Also there's no point putting the same hashtag on the page more than once since as I said it is not specific to a location on a page.

If everyone does this, we'll end up with the "recent" page full of nothing but this tag and we'll miss questions others are asking so although I can see the good intent behind this, please may I suggest you don't continue to do it?

Posted

Heather C, I did have the new tags, but whilst I was not looking, they were taken away!

I did not have the time to start tagging with the updated system and by the time I logged on to start, the old system had re-appeared. I did not query it, just thought, "gremlins", it's the week-end, all will become clear on Monday.

What to do? Continue with the old tags or wait until the team resume tomorrow? Plenty of other WW1 'stuff' to do!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to poppynine's comment.

That's bizarre indeed. I assume you have tried refreshing the page and that doesn't change anything?

If not then of course entirely up to you whether to tag today or wait till we get an Admin on Monday. If you are in the UK - the weather's nice - go out in the garden! 😉

Posted

I'll settle down for a session later this evening, do as you suggest and see what transpires. Like so many 'Taggers', I'm not in the UK but are aware of the clear blue skies there today, so perhaps not too much tagging being done at the moment. Enjoy it whilst you can - tomorrow is another day.
    P.S. Our outdoor thermometer is reading 29 -not good, too high for the middle of April.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Thanks, Heather - will follow your advice. Thankfully, I haven't had too many examples as I've only just started a Field Ambulance Diary and the author hasn't listed too many yet plus I've been in the sunshine, so I haven't had the chance to mess up too much, Heather! 😉
    Regards, Maria.

Posted

Maria - don't worry about "messing it up" - I'm sure it wouldn't. Just trying to save you from doing it when I'm not sure it would be useful 😃

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Thanks, Heather - I'm glad about that and I do appreciate your guidance. I'll be giving up thinking for Lent! 😉

Posted

• thursdaynext by thursdaynext

Well, it is late Monday afternoon and the "Other Unit" tag is still missing! There is mention in the "New Tags Coming" thread that the options for "Other Unit" were to be modified as the information would be included in that unit's own diary. If it has been decided that in fact all the information will be included in the other unit's own diary and the whole tag is superfluous, I would like to urge a rethink! The "other unit" is not always British - even if diaries from other Commonwealth countries are eventually included in this project, we presumably won't be getting diaries from the French, Portuguese or even the Americans! And unless the ranks tags are to be significantly amended, I am guessing there is no plan for the Royal Naval Division to be included either. So it seems to me that there are a variety of circumstances where the "Other Unit" information won't be covered by another diary.

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

In the "New Tags Coming" thread it says that recording activity for the other units wasn't required as this would be recorded in their own diary (which is fair enough), but it doesn't say that they are removing the "Other Unit" tag in the diary pages to record when units come in to contact each other, I also tagged Commonwealth, Air Force units etc. under this heading. I thought the reason for this tag was to 'show how units interacted with each other' (taken from the Field Guide under Signals Pad where the Other Unit tag is still being used).
    Hopefully we will get an answer soon.

Posted

• Mary_mn by Mary_mn

Please get the other unit tag back. It doesn't make sense to leave them out as it provides a reference to the positions and contributes to the overall picture. Especially if the other unit is missing the relevant page of their diary or they are an Allied unit. Am doing RFA at present and there are constant references to the guns supporting other units raids etc. Makes for a very incomplete & confusing picture not to tag "other unit".

Posted

• caromj by caromj

I agree. I am currently tagging a diary that makes lots comments about other units. It seems a pity not to tag these in some way, particularly given that not all Regimental diaries are complete.

Posted

The Other Unit tag is now back.

I understand the "reference" tag will stay removed though, possibly as it was not producing useful information. Considering that we seem to have been using it a number of different ways (as it allowed free text entry) I can see why.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi guys - the Other Unit tag is back! Hurrah! 😃

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

We must have posted at the same time, Heather. 😉 Did they say why it went A.W.O.L.? I'm just glad to have it back. Thank you.
    Maria

Posted

Hmmm, well that's a bummer 'cus I ain't got it and it's 01h11 Thursday 16th.

Login' Off in a sec...fingers crossed I'll have it tomorrow as I am in a situation where "my" unit is with a number of other units including the [34th] Fort Garry Horse (Canadian Unit under Colonel PATTERSON).

Night All, Max

Posted

As ever for anyone who can't see any changes made, refresh the page and then log out and in again. It usually turns up then...

Posted

• angiehart by angiehart

Great to see the 'Other Unit' tag is back.

Thanks 😃

Posted

Logged-on this morning all ok, (other unit tag back and some new diaries) but then CATASTROPHE - !!!

This morning my Laptop, my 4 month old laptop that is, slipped off the tray I have it on over my bed & now I have a lovely "spiders-web"*** crack across the screen so I have spent the day rebuilding an old laptop which runs about as fast as me! 😦

Consequently I might not be able to to do as much as before but I'll have a go.

I know, off subject and my own fault but had to moan about it somewhere 😃

Max.

Posted

Tough Break Max, But Whatever Work You Can Do Is Appreciated!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to bootnecksbs's comment.

It is appreciated of course. But that's what household insurance is for - get a claim in quick!

Posted

Just being sarkie 'am feeling sorry for meself - was quite chuffed when I bought the laptop with such high specs for a bargain £300!

House insurance will cover but I have to pay the 1st £70, plus they will bump my premiums up.

I've also found out a new screen is £170 but if I replace it it may invalidate my existing guarantee with John Lewis so just weighing up my options at the mo...but good to be back on here to occupy my mind. Regards, Max

Posted

• Memento_Mori by Memento_Mori in response to bootnecksbs's comment.

You poor thing. I sympathize. Computers are both the bane and boon of my existence, and issues with them are just the worst.
    May you have the least aggravating and inexpensive resolution possible!

Posted

Thanks @Memento-Mori -

It's so dammed frustrating , if I had got someone to move it off my bed & put it on the floor/chair before I moved in about in my bed it would never had happened..but hindsight is good eh!

The annoying thing is was it was a £429 laptop which I got for just under £300 after discounts and a similar one with the same specs would sent me back over £500.

It's amazing how one feels the difference when switching back to an old machine. (although this one has a few letters missing as well which makes for fun typing.)

I am lucky I know enough about computing to have been able to put this one together but it'll never be as good as my new one was...boo hoo.

Many thanks for your kind words,

Kindest Regards, Max

Posted