War Diaries Talk

Tagging Casualties

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I have two questions about tagging casualties. I've looked on the boards but haven't seen anything about it elsewhere.

One question is: When, as an example, 2 officers and 10 ORs are wounded and the officers are listed by name, I have used the Person tag to tag the officers as Casualty:Wounded, but then should they be added to the total count for the Casualties tag? In other words, should the Casualties tag show 10 or 12 wounded?

The other question is: What is the best way to handle a comment such as "24 ORs killed and wounded" where there is no breakdown given?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Answer to the first question is yes, so the total count should be 12 in your example.

Answer to the second question is we don't have an answer for this one yet! It's been asked several times if we can have an "unspecified casualties" category in the casualties box but nothing has appeared yet. I live in hope...

I think the best you can do for now is put them all as wounded (not satisfactory I know but otherwise they won't be counted at all and it's likely there were more wounded than dead) and then hashtag them as #casualties so we can find them again later. Only use this hashtag for uncategorised casualties though. If you are not sure how to use hashtags, the FAQ thread is here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000f/discussions/DWD000034v

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to HeatherC's comment.

Thank you so much for the information. I also once came across a situation where a battalion was going into the trenches where it was so muddy that a whole company (or some unit of men) got separated from the rest and the diary author noted them as missing. It was something like 54 men. They turned up two days later. Would that also be a case where a hashtag would be a good idea?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I think it might be yes or at the very least add a comment about it. The hashtag you choose (if you use one) has to be very specific and obvious in what it refers to so it can be picked out. I supposed you could say 54 missing men returned and hashtag the word missing?

Posted