War Diaries Talk

Narrative on Reverse of Diary Page?

• Curt_Carpenter by Curt_Carpenter

I suspect that some diary pages may have additional narrative written on the reverse of some diary pages. Is this a possibility?

Posted

• rsgrayson by rsgrayson scientist

I've not found it myself, but it's not impossible and wondered why you suspect that?

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

The instrcutions for completing the forms said to only write on one side I think. If there was text on the reverse, they should have been scanned as well (you will see some instances where ink has gone through the page and the scanning oepratives have scanned that just to be on the safe side, and on other occasions waste paper was reused, so completely unrelated information is on the reverse, but these have still been scanned).

Posted

• Curt_Carpenter by Curt_Carpenter in response to rsgrayson's comment.

As I was tagging a page, the diary narrative broke off at the bottom of the a page (King's Hussars diary, as I recall) as if it would be continued on the following sheet. The next sheet was in order according to date, but did not in fact continue the narrative.

The continuity by date and discontinuity in the text led me to believe that there might have been more text on the reverse of the original page.

(Sorry for being so late to respond. I have been learning as I go how to navigate the system here.)

Regards,
    Curt Carpenter

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Do you know which diary it was? It may be possible to check against the original

Posted