War Diaries Talk

How to add Military Locations

• Phil_Evans by Phil_Evans

Would be useful to tag military named locations/features such as LEWIS KEEP (presumably a fortification) or STANEFIELD ROAD (a trench name) or GORDON ALLEY (another trench)

Posted

• makfai by makfai

I agree or be able to include them as a 'place' under that tag

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was OK to tag these as places. Can't find the thread where it was asked right at the moment but I'd go ahead and do it. I am!

Posted

• makfai by makfai

It says in the field guide for tagging places in diaries "Ignore locations that do not have a proper place name eg ignore Camp F or Area G. ". But as a researcher it is highly likely that I would be searching for these military places such as camps; Hellfire Corner; ABC redoubt; XYZ trench etc. They may not appear on Google or Ordnance Survey maps but they were and are key features.

The only other way to ID them would be by #hashtag but that seems less appropriate than using the place tag

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I suppose it depends what the guide means by "proper place name". Something like "Camp F" is way too general but a specific name given to a hill or trench might not be. My thought on this is if the place can be uniquely identified in the search then tag it as a place. If not then don't. So for example "Forward Trench" is pointless to tag, but "Hellfire Corner" or "Danzig Trench" can be recognised and tagging them as places seems useful. I'm sure if I am wrong, someone from IWM will come along and put us right!

Posted

• hussar by hussar

We should always include 'trench', 'hill', 'road', 'camp' etc in the description where appropriate.

Posted