War Diaries Talk

Clarification of tagging under 'person' in diary

• richardwest by richardwest

When the 'reason' is 'posted or detached to another unit' is the 'unit name' the name meant to be the unit they are going to. So if I have Captain Jones RAMC and he is being posted to the Essex Fusiliers do I put RAMC or Essex Fusiliers in this field? I would assume he is still a RAMC officer so have been putting RAMC to date. Thanks.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No, in this situation, it's the unit they're being posted to that you want to record.

In the particular case you mention, all medical officers were members of the RAMC, regardless of the unit they were attached to, so it's more useful to know which battalion they were attached to.

Hope that helps.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

But then how do you indicate that the officer is an RAMC officer going to the new unit? If you don't note that, it looks like the officer is from the unit he is leaving.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

After entering him as ‘posted detached to another unit’, I would then enter him in the ‘unit name specified’ as (RAMC) - Essex Fusiliers.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, sorry! I completely didn't think that through - too distracted at the moment!

Cynthia and Marie are absolutely right and Marie's suggestion for how to tag the unit is a good one. It is important to tag the unit they're being transferred to, and in the normal course of events that would be enough. But in the case of an RAMC man, it's also worth adding the extra detail as Marie has done.

Posted