War Diaries Talk

When units are detached / attached

• jpmoses66 by jpmoses66

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I have often noted Battalions having attached/detached Coys to different locations, and under the command of other units.

My question is, when tagging the Bn's/unit's location, do I follow the Bn HQ and tag its location or that of the location of the majority of the Bn's troops/units/companies?

E.g. Bn HQ remains in Noeux-les-Mines, A,B,C Coys move to Cambrin while D Coy moves to Cuinchy under 1st Black Watch?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

This is a situation you often encounter in artillery diaries, where the various batteries will often be geographically separate from their HQ and firing on quite different targets. I'll often tag all their locations, because it's a fair representation of the unit's dispersed location on any particular day. However, it's generally not worth tagging location for detachments under the command of a different unit. So, in the case you describe above, I would tag the HQ location and the location of A, B and C Coys, but I wouldn't bother tagging D Coy.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Actually, it has always been my understanding that all place names were to be tagged, but those that indicate where the unit HQ or a portion of the unit is located were to also be check marked.

So in this example I would tag all those locations, but probably not use the check mark for Cuinchy, since D Coy. is under the command of another unit.

Posted