War Diaries Talk

How to properly tag diary pages when author has written on an angle and events don't line up under the correct date tag.

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

The author of diary page WO/95/1271/3 Page 40 of 140, 1 DIVISION: 2 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. (31 Dec 1916 - 30 May 1919), wrote on an angle rather than horizontally across the page. Since the DATE tags add a horizontal line across the page, the majority of events written for that day end up in a different date tag. What is more important - making sure the tags are added over the top of the written text, or making sure the tags end up under the correct date? I would add a screen capture to show you what I mean, but don't want to violate the copyright. If I were to guess, it seems to me that it would be more appropriate to ensure a correct timeline (button to the left of the "Finished!" button). If I add the tags over the written text, most of the tags will end up under the wrong date in the timeline. Hope this makes sense!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I know exactly what you mean. Text that is off the horizontal happens in many diaries, and sometimes when the pages themselves were not scanned in straight!

You can manipulate the Date tag a bit as long as the horizontal line touches something from the correct date. So if the writing is running uphill you can place the tag so the line is catching the highest part of that entry. The problem is that this often means that on the left side of page you're capturing the previous entry. You just have to work it in at the best spot for a compromise.

Not all the tags are critically date relevant. I have been forced a couple of times to tag men who had joined, were going on leave or were posted to another unit, or who were just ill in the wrong date. Getting the man's name is the most important thing and if you have him joining or leaving a day early or late it isn't critical. In fact, I just yesterday tagged a case I have come across in some diaries where the receipt of orders for a transfer is noted on one day, and the man's actual departure noted two days later; most diaries only mention a transfer once, so the exact date is negotiable anyway! I think if a man is wounded or killed, it is more important to try to get the tag into the correct date.

Use your judgment to work out the best placement for your tags, looking at issues of whether the correct date is meaningful or is it a more general or ongoing activity.

By the way, you can attach a shot of a particular page to a thread by going through your profile to reach the page. If you haven't yet finished the page, if you put something in the Comments box that posts the page's image at the top of the Talk page. Click on that image and it will take you to a page where you can start a new thread with a shot of the page. You can even put just a letter in the Comments box to do this.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I tagged this diary for the 1 Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment there were lots of pages with the writing in the upward slope. It took a long time to tag the pages, had to work out where the information had to be entered between the date lines. I inserted comments re the information referring to the dates.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks for your input, Marie. Comments are a good way to handle these kinds of issues.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'll just jump in here to agree with Cynthia - anything which affects the timeline should be linked to the correct date where possible, which does sometimes mean placing the date tags in a way which includes elements of other dates. But it's less important with individuals, where all we really need is a page reference for them.

Posted