War Diaries Talk

Re comment regarding the 2nd Btn Royal Irish Regiment

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Re comment box on this page for the 2nd Btn Royal Irish Regiment in regard to 7/8 Royal Inniskilling Regiment. I have tagged Btn relieved by the 7/8 Royal Irish Fus. Also Btn relieved 7/8 Royal Irish Fus. as written by Author. Also this page states their HQ being at Lempire on the 15th Jan 1918. Page link of 2nd Btn Royal Irish Regiment: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003jvd

I did the diary of the 7/8 Royal Irish Fusiliers and they were in this area at the time. I think I started the diary for the 7/8th Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers 20 August so cannot give you a page link as it is too far back. In my notes I have:
    7/8th Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers - Page 274/ 1-10 January 1918 – HQ Hamel, in line Hamel. 7/8th Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers - Page 275/ 11-17 January 1918 – At Lempire in support.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm sorry, Marie, but I'm confused. Your comment on the diary page says you think the author was mistaken when he said the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment was relieved by, and later relieved in turn, the 7/8th R Irish Fusiliers, and that you think he meant the 7/8th Inniskillings.

I understand your comment, but I don't understand the second part of your post above.

Both of the 7/8th Irish Fusiliers and the 7/8th Inniskillings were in the 49th Brigade, and so they would have both been in the same area as the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment at the same time.

Posted

Cynthia to clarify: Another person tagged this diary page and they made the comment in the comment box of: (“Twice the author writes 7/8th Royal Irish Fus, but I think he means Innis”).* - See comment box for this page.

I think this *comment in the comment box for this diary is incorrect – my reasons given for when I tagged the diary of the 7/8th Royal Battalion Fusiliers.

I tagged the diary page for the 2nd Btn Royal Irish Regiment as: Battalion relieved by the 7/8 Royal Irish Fus. Also Battalion relieved 7/8 Royal Irish Fus.

Therefore, I have tagged what the Author has written. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003jvd

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie, I didn't notice that the comment about the Inniskillings was not yours. No wonder I was confused! I shouldn't try to answer questions at night! It wasn't even that late where I live, but I had a long day yesterday.

And it is correct to tag what is written, and put any possible errors or thoughts in the Comment box. In this case I would trust that the diary author had it right; he most likely also typed up the orders for the reliefs.

Posted

No problem Cynthia, thanks for your quick answer!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I made exactly the same mistake with the comment!

Posted