War Diaries Talk

Is there a glitch on the Google Map Box today Monday?

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

When entering names in the Google Map Box today Monday, it will not place the names on the map. Tried different names, refreshed page, signed out and signed in again, and also emptied my cache not so long ago. I am using Windows 10 and Chrome. Is anyone else having this problem with the Google map box?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I've had some funny issues with chrome today, Marie - at the moment it's not letting me place any tags at all, for example. I have a feeling it might have updated - when that happens I find things generally get back to normal overnight.

If you or anybody else is still having these issues tomorrow, let me know, but hopefully they will clear up.

Posted

Thanks for your quick reply Ral. I'm not the only one then! Will let you know if it corrects itself.

Earlier when I signed into Chrome, there was a message saying it had installed Skype. A message also to say I could remove it because it could affect Chrome. I removed the Skype installation. So as you say Chrome must be updating.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't seem to be having any problems with Firefox this morning (late afternoon UK time). I just did a quick check, though, of a few tags. So perhaps it is just related to a Chrome update.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

It's Monday evening for me (19:55 BST) and the maps function is not working. I can post locations onto the diary pages, but there's nothing coming up from Google to allow me to tie it in with the maps. I'm using FIrefox on a Mac; never had/used Chrome.

Posted

It's working a bit better for me now. I can place tags and find places from the list, but then the text box doesn't get updated.

I think this must be a general google issue. The maps in particular do seem to go a bit haywire from time to time. Let's revisit it tomorrow and hope things are back to normal. If the problem's ongoing, then I'll pass it on to the Zooniverse and see if they can do anything, but unfortunately there's not a great deal we can do if it's not an issue with the OWD interface itself.

Marie, I ended up uninstalling skype a while back as it seemed to be causing problems.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

The only problem I have the last days is that the cursor leaves the google box when I start typing or when I'am in the middkle of a placename so I have to restart typing again.

Posted

I'm still not having any trouble. I wonder if it's a UK problem?

Posted

Could be. Everything appears to be normal this morning, at least for me.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Sorry folks but it's still playing up - I just started tagging and Google will not recognise any place names plus letters disappear after typing - Jan

Posted

Did you do any tagging yesterday, Jan? If not, it might be worth restarting your computer to see if that sorts things out. If it doesn't, I would try the old standby of clearing the browser cache (useful info on how to do that here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en)

I was having problems yesterday, but everything is okay today. Let me know if this doesn't work for you and we'll try and work out what else we can do.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to ral104's comment.

I had difficulty getting location responses on Monday too. No problems now.

Posted

Google map is not working well today Wednesday. Sometime the places will go in and sometimes they will not. There seems to be a delay before some of them are coming onto the map, even though other places will not come up. Using Windows 10, Chrome.

Posted

Everything's working fine for me this morning. Glad to hear you're finding the same, @deehar.

Marie, have you gone through the usual cache-clearing process? The fact it seems to be working for some of us, but not others makes me think it must be something to do with Chrome itself, rather than OWD.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade in response to ral104's comment.

I didn't work on it yesterday but have just started today and it is working OK [fingers crossed] - thank you for your info. for future problems. Regards Jan

Posted

No problem with the Google Map Box today, Thursday. I did not clear my cache because I cleared it a short while ago.

Posted

Glad to hear it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Posted

Me too 😄

Posted