War Diaries Talk

Just a thought

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi
    After tagging over 400 pages it's just occurred to me to ask whether there is any way of knowing if what I'm doing is actually of any use? I trundle along doing what I think is correct but for all I know I could be doing it completely wrong. Do you see what I mean?

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I admit I've had the same thought from time to time, Mike. However, as long as you are following the instructions in the Field Guide, your tags should be contributing in a meaningful way to the data the project collects.

As far as I know, it's in the nature of crowdsourced research, like this, that the individual volunteers can't follow up on their own contributions. When I have those moments of doubt, I try to remember that four other people will have tagged each page before the data from it is compiled and evaluated. That helps in regard to minimizing the effect of any errors.

If you haven't already seen it, there's a new blog post up at https://blog.operationwardiary.org/2016/05/15/the-evolution-of-operation-war-diary/ that helps explain how the data is used.

Rest assured that your contributions, and those of every volunteer here, are definitely valued!

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    Many thanks for your reply. Actually, it was the blog you mention that prompted me to ask my question!

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted