War Diaries Talk

Unit Activity when tagging 2 CAVALRY DIVISION: 2 CAVALRY DIVISION AUXILIARY HORSE TRANSPORT (575 COMPANY A.S.C.)

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    After having tagged quite a few pages of this diary with a Unit Activity of "other" for each day I'm now wondering whether that's right or not. Should I be using something else or perhaps not bothering with Unit Activity as it's always carrying out A.S.C. type tasks?

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

We've been having a fair bit of discussion about this sort of thing lately, so I'm glad you bought it up!

Previously, our advice had generally been not to bother tagging day-to-day activities for this sort of unit, at least not of the type that you might reasonably be expecting them to carry out as standard.

However...having read Richard Grayson's recent article, and seeing how the data we generate is being used in practice, I've come to the conclusion that the more we tag the better. It's more onerous for the tagger, but makes the data much more useful.

So, in short - you're doing the right thing! As to the exact tag to use, that really depends on exactly what they're up to. Often with the ASC units, 'Re-supplying' might be a good tag. 'Unit movement' might also be useful, but you'll undoubtedly have to make a fair amount of use of 'Other' as well.

Hope that helps,

Rob

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

i hashtag the actual allie after #alliedrelations .Is this wrong?Surely some researcher may want to see what their particular countryman was up to in WW1.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

That's absolutely the right thing to do - the more information the better!

Posted

• stoat11 by stoat11

Hi,
    That's great - many thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
    Mike

Posted