War Diaries Talk

Is there any way to increase the Google Maps window

• glendam by glendam

I'd like to be able to see the surrounding towns/villages when I enter a place just to make sure I have the correct place and haven't chosen a place kilometres from where it was likely that the soldiers were to have moved.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to glendam's comment.

Have you tried zooming with the mouse wheel ? That works for me.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

A good google map on which you can search on by putting the place in the top left hand corner. You can open a new tab and put this link there for reference. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mons,+Belgium/@50.445691,3.8296224,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c24558a6578cfb:0x40099ab2f4d6c90

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

You can also just click on the word Google in the window in the Place tag. This opens a new tab that is Google Maps and when you zoom in it goes right to the town/village you have in the Place tag.

As an example, say the diary states the unit is in Bethune. You type in Bethune in the Place tag and click on the Bethune option in the list that comes up. When the little map appears in the window, click on the word Google. It opens a Google Maps tab. When you zoom in, Bethune will be in the middle of your screen. This works for any place that actually shows up as an option in the Place tag.

For places that return only the Not Sure option, I go back to the last place I found or I look ahead on the diary page for any other places mentioned. If the unit has been moving, I start searching on Google Maps in the area between the two locations I can find. Once you have Google Maps open, you can also often find some of these places by typing them into the search box at the top of the Google Maps page.

The little tiny places can be harder to find, but I've found some by zooming way in and sometimes the name shows up as a street name. Also, there are some that show up on the Earth view but not on the Map view. Using the Earth view has even let me find some of the farms mentioned in the diaries! They're not labeled, but many of these farms seem to have been rebuilt in the same location.

Posted

• glendam by glendam

Thanks - clicking on Google works well to give me a large map. Appreciate the response.

Posted