War Diaries Talk

Inspection and Church Parades

• swalker0826 by swalker0826

Should these be tagged as Inspection and Religion, respectively, or should I also use the Parade tag?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Interesting one...I think I would use all three in this case.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

In the field guide, under Parades, Army Life, it says not to use the Parades tag for medical or religious reasons. So I've been tagging Church parades with just the Religion tag. But I suppose the important thing would be to get the Religion tag in there and not tag them merely as a Parade.

Do inspections always involve a parade? There are mentions of inspections of horse lines, billets, and trenches in many of the diaries, but I never thought of those as parades. Should I be looking at them differently?

Posted

This is an interesting image: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205304858

You can see that these were formal affairs, but as you say the main purpose of them was religious, so yes, the religion tag is more important here than the parade one. I'd still stick a parade tag on it in this case, mainly for completeness. In essence, this is a church service, but with a military twist.

As for whether inspections always involve a parade - no. You've definitely been approaching it correctly. Sometimes they do, but often not (including the cases you mention).

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

It is an interesting image. In the related objects photographs, they all look so cold.

Posted

I like these image sets which are from private collections rather than the official war photographers (although they have great images too). They often feel a bit more immediate, I guess because the subjects tended to know the photographer.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

What is a C. of E. Parade Service?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Church of England?

Posted

Church of England it is.

Posted