War Diaries Talk

Cameron Highlanders - Question by cgastwein regarding ranks of Jamieson and Chalmers

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Hi Cynthia, I think they are both privates, i.e

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1DSGL_enGB426GB426&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Private+Chalmers+Cameron+Highlanders+ww1 This link shows Images for Private Chalmers, Cameron Highlanders ww1. A search in google also for - Private Jamieson Cameron Highlanders - will bring up his images also. Your comment box was too small to put the long link in, hence this message to you.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, Marie. I think both these men were probably 2nd Lieutenants, though. Chalmers and Jamieson were not uncommon names, especially in Scottish regiments, but it would be very unusual for privates to be mentioned in this way - the context implies they were both platoon or company leaders.

I can find a record for a 2nd Lt Jamieson, who was killed at about this time: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2580765

Posted

Thanks Ral, I think you have answered the question correctly.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie, You are amazing in the research you do! This diary has been rather sparse in mention of individuals by name except in these reports, so I didn't have any other mention of these names to work with. I think Rob is right, though, in that in the context they are officers, especially since his link shows that 2nd Lt. Jamieson died on the day of the operations described in the report.

Posted

Cynthia thanks for your message - I just google lots of things and add WW1 to my question - its amazing what information will come up.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I often google place names that don't come up on the map, such as names of farms or chateaus. I'm amazed at what I've found that way. I love maps anyway, and when I find one of these places I always feel like "Got it!" It's fun chasing down historical/geographical puzzles.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It is, isn't it? And quite illuminating too, when you realise how much that area was altered by the bombardments and other destruction.

Posted